Robert J. Lang - Tarantula (Insects II)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
mike352

Post by mike352 »

These unsinks are different than the unsinks earlier. Those were open: you could push at the paper from behind. These are closed unsinks, and you need to somehow grab at the paper and pull it up towards you. It might be a day before I can take pictures for you.
jo118

Post by jo118 »

That's alright I can wait :).
jo118

Post by jo118 »

Any update?
This is as far as I can get: (Oops I got flap 2 and 3 the wrong way round)
After unsinking the first flap it creates a horizontal fold in between the flaps. This makes it hard to unsink the next flaps and all I do is make a complete mess of the paper. Don't mind my rough folding, I've done it so many times the paper is nearly ripped and I can't be bothered to do it again till I know how to do it.
floopate

Post by floopate »

hi, just a quick question on the model, i've gotten the unsinks kinda sorta down pat. (it took a while i can tell you that, and when Mr. Lang said that it was the most difficult and oddest feeling step to do he wasnt kidding!) but now im kind of stuck at step 36 during the multiple open sinks. My problem is in sinking the part that was open sunk in step 35.

I have been trying with a basic waterbomb base as practice (i sink the top part and try to open sink in and out one side with the sink overlapping the first open sink i did) and it seems like the folds dont match... the sink is very difficult if not impossible to do seeing as one valley fold becomes a mountain fold in the sink but it is also connected to 2 mountain folds...

can anyone help shed some light on this situation? im about to tear my hair out if i didnt shave it all off! :evil:

Thanks in advance! sorry if my explanation wasnt clear enough. just ask me and ill try to post pics or something! :D
-Gino S-

My Photo Albums http://floopate.multiply.com
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Ive had the same problem i found step 36 akward and did my best from that point on but it still went wrong. I managed to finish the model but it didnt turn out quite right due to stage 36 not being done wright :-(

Is there any chance of some one showing how this bit is suposed to go? Also after the sinking of the sides the diagrams show a small tryangle sticking out but mine dosnt seem to have any of the tryangles? :oops: :shock:

Kind regards
Steve
mohit

Post by mohit »

where do u buy this book .i live in india. mr lang adviced me this check this>>>>>> :D :arrow:
Dear Mohit,

If you are just starting with complex models, a good source of diagrams
would be my book, "Origami Insects and their Kin". Once you have mastered
that, "Origami Insects II" would be a good place to go. You can get these
from OrigamiUSA (http://www.origami-usa.org/shopping) and other online sources.

Good luck!

Robert

> Dear sir ,
> I am Mohit Dandekar,India.I love origami very much. I am 14 years old .I am
> practising origami since last 4 years . I have mastered some of the complex
> models such as fireworks by Mr. Yami Yamauchi ,Umulius Rectangulum by (Thoki
> Yenn).Plese suggest me some diagrams.
> Thank you
> Mohit Dandekar
> India
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

If you can't buy it online, I'm not sure where you can purchase it in India.

You could try contacting Origami Mitra, the organization for Indian folders, http://www.origami-mitra.com/contactus.html .
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

We're making an assumption, so let me make the other assumption...

You can buy these books online through Amazon, OUSA, and perhaps some Japanese sites. Postage may be prohibitive, but you'll have to explore that.

However, there are other types of intermediate and complex diagrams online, you'll have to do a little research through Google, searching on something like: (intermediate OR complex) origami diagrams

- Hank Simon
gouken

Post by gouken »

hello.. I am new of the forum.. iscritoos are me in as for me it likes a lot of origami, and I have seen that this site and very full of origami (excuse me but I don't speak well English )..I have folded up some models (we say of middle level) but in the tarantula of lang in which I have found a problem.. I have read the preceding posts but I/you/they have not succeeded in resolving therefore I have decided to personally ask you... I jam me to the passage '' unsink '' that it is found to the 17 passage..from 17 to 19 I don't understand what I must do you could help me? even if I give you my send email me a video because I have already read the answers but I don't understand really the procedure..thanks
Innotech

Post by Innotech »

The whole idea of unsinking in step 17 is to create a symmetrical shape from the layers. What you are basically doing is creating 3 diamond shapes with the paper flap. A trick to make it easier is to unfold the rabbit ear you just folded, turn the flap the other direction and refold the rabbit ear, which will give you pre-creases on both sides of the flap. From here, you are basically spreading apart the layers and refolding them into the shape you see. Unsinking is just taking a trapped layer of paper outward so that you can access it.
Innotech

Post by Innotech »

floopate wrote:hi, just a quick question on the model, i've gotten the unsinks kinda sorta down pat. (it took a while i can tell you that, and when Mr. Lang said that it was the most difficult and oddest feeling step to do he wasnt kidding!) but now im kind of stuck at step 36 during the multiple open sinks. My problem is in sinking the part that was open sunk in step 35.

I have been trying with a basic waterbomb base as practice (i sink the top part and try to open sink in and out one side with the sink overlapping the first open sink i did) and it seems like the folds dont match... the sink is very difficult if not impossible to do seeing as one valley fold becomes a mountain fold in the sink but it is also connected to 2 mountain folds...

can anyone help shed some light on this situation? im about to tear my hair out if i didnt shave it all off! :evil:

Thanks in advance! sorry if my explanation wasnt clear enough. just ask me and ill try to post pics or something! :D
I know this is an older post, but the secret here is that it is one big connected box pleat. Make sure to fold all the folds very sharply on both sides of the flap so that it can mountain/valley in any direction easily. then open the flap (including the reverse folded thin layer underneath) and refold the entire flap like a box pleat. On the open sunk area on top, there is actually a small point that will stick up above the completed fold where it meets the two thick upper points, and this is supposed to be there. There should also be the corner of the inner flap sticking out on the side of the boxpleat if you did it correctly. It is definitely a strange step and I will try and find a way to clarify it with a picture.
gouken

Post by gouken »

Innotech wrote:The whole idea of unsinking in step 17 is to create a symmetrical shape from the layers. What you are basically doing is creating 3 diamond shapes with the paper flap. A trick to make it easier is to unfold the rabbit ear you just folded, turn the flap the other direction and refold the rabbit ear, which will give you pre-creases on both sides of the flap. From here, you are basically spreading apart the layers and refolding them into the shape you see. Unsinking is just taking a trapped layer of paper outward so that you can access it.
excuse I thank her/it for his/her help but I have tried there a lot of times, also following the preceding suggestions... but I don't succeed in understanding really the passage...someone us would take ke it would do me the gentleness to send me a video of the passage in matter.. for email if he/she wants...thanks:)
gouken

Post by gouken »

in the passages 35-36 etc.. (where upen sink does it appear) thing is owed macaws??you explain me him please because the rest and almost all with the open sink
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

that open sink ist very tricky. I'm pretty sure a video won't do you a good favour because I think it wouldn't clear anything for you :(
just try to open sink the whole flap, I know its a pain but there's nothing more to say but open sink it... I'm sorry. maybe you should start with the two flaps on the back of the model, because the sink there is slightly easier and you may get a better feeling for the whole process.
good luck.
gouken

Post by gouken »

hi, sorry but i dont speak english very well...a translator helps me but he is not so powerful to be translated in orderly way to the point to make me understand so complex passages...and for this that I asked if someone could show me the passages open sink through a video...thanks.. (soon I put a video on youtube of the whole tarantula up to the point 35)