OUSA Convention 2008

Useful Information about Origami Societies, Meetings and Websites.
gordigami

OUSA Convention 2008

Post by gordigami »

Would any instructors/designers care to indicate what models they plan to teach at the 2008 OUSA Convention in June ?
This info would be greatly appreciated.
I hope that this is not an inappropriate request !
( Shhh ! Mum's the word...I promise not to tell anyone !)Ha ! Ha !
Thanks !
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Joseph Wu

OUSA 2008 Convention Teaching

Post by Joseph Wu »

I'm hosting the model preview gallery again.
http://www.josephwu.com/gallery2/v/ousa2008/
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
gordigami

OUSA Convention 2008

Post by gordigami »

Joseph...
My apologies ... I'm afraid that I wasn't aware of the existance of a " model preview gallery " .
That looks like an excellent place to look for upcoming models, so I'll be sure to check back with it over the next couple months .
( Of course, I'll also check with OUSA convention info , as well ).
Thank you !
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

No worries. The convention mailing is being prepared at the home office right now, and the link to the preview gallery will be included. You probably won't see anything until the mailing goes out.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
gordigami

OUSA Convention 2008

Post by gordigami »

Great news !
I see that the Convention 2008 online details are online as of today.
No models yet, of course, but a bountiful amount of information as well as the forms needed to send in .
Nicolas Terry should be great !
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I'd suggest reading the "What's New" section. They've made changes towards exhibiting models, requiring 1 hour of volunteering in exhibition if you want to exhibit models (nothing mentioned about exhibitors that are not attending). Those daunted by it, don't be. I randomly volunteered in setting up exhibition last year on friday and it was a smooth experience. It may be a bit boring to watch people browse the models, but its an important job, and an hour well spent. Who knows, you may make some new friends or meet admirers.
novaorigami

Post by novaorigami »

sorry that this will not about what u guys talking here (models), but the topic of this thread fix my question. So i think post here is good.

I am new to convention, and want to attend this year.
After read the website OUSA , i think these step are what i need to do to attend the convention:
1. Join to become a member: $30
2. Attenden registration: $160 (3 days + 3 classes)
3. Room: $150 (3 nights)
Am i correct in pricing and step by step? Is there any step above that can be done through internet, payment online?
I know that I can call them for info, but my english not good and I not good at talk on the phone.
Thank you
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

That sounds right, and you can do all of those things on the website.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Oh wow, when did OUSA change their website? And I don't recall an attendee registration fee last year...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Yeah, there is a fee with or without classes. Dorms also have a $20 overall registration charge and full bedding and towels are $45.
gordigami

OUSA Convention 2008

Post by gordigami »

I really appreciate the growing list of teaching models on Joseph Wu's site, as well as his listing of 2006 & 2007 models .
Also, JoetheWhite has graciously offered some excellent information and insight into the convention.
This may have already been asked, but I was wondering what model folks would
really like to see taught at the convention, especially of high intermediate level ?
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I am going to be displaying my work at the convention and have never done anything like that before. I am looking for some help in how to transport and display (mount) my models. In particular I have some human figures that don't stand on their own, a flying phoenix that must be suspended in the air, and some small dollar bill models that also need some support. I have used thin wire in the past to make stands, but that has never worked as well as I liked and doesn't look the best.

As for transporting them, I will be flying in to New York, so some of my work will likely need to go with my checked luggage on the plane. How can I ensure their safety? I may be able to take some with me in my carry-on bag, but probably not all of them.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I'd suggest looking at displays from the past for some ideas. Some exhibitors use custom stands made from acrylic, wood, etc. V'Ann also had some designs for models to display origami, I'm not sure where/if they're published however. Last year I used a simple 3x3 open bottom cube design folded from large black kami I bought in bulk at Kinokuniya in NYC, with wire supports underneath for certain models. If that doesn't work for your flying model, you could use a sturdy wire stand, some fishing line, and a paper clip. The display stand can also work with 5x5, 7x7 or 9x9, etc. to raise smaller models into view, though they might not be as stable. Simple cardstock stands may work as well. I usually fold them on-site before exhibition setup to save room in my luggage.

Whenever I travel with display models, I keep them in a small tupperware-like container, preferably in my carry on with my books and paper. If I must keep them in my checked luggage I put a few "paper boulders" in there to absorb the rough handling. Anything I don't want to lose, I keep in my carry on, which is usually a backpack. I posed the question last year about packing Methylcellulose, and the suggestion of including a material safety data sheet with it in my checked luggage didn't lead to any problems with security. If anyone brings some however, I'd suggest using bottled water once you get to NYC, it doesn't bond well with tap...

I think I'd like to make some custom stands in the future. Maybe this one I had an idea for, a clear acrylic cube with a model mounted inside, suspended with line to four heavy stands, so that the cube can be held and the model viewed from all angles.

Sadly though, I won't be able to make it to the convention this year due to some recent family problems. Make sure to share with us your experiences.
Last edited by Joe the white on June 5th, 2008, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Yeah, I'm also having sleepless nights over the convention display! What to take , how many, what sizes, how to transport it and how to display it. And then, if someone asks me to show them how to fold something, I'll need my diagrams there also!! So I'm in a panic to finish folding and diagramming alot of things.

And I thought origami was supposed to be therapeutic!!! 3 Weeks to go!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Haha-I know what you mean. I wanted to do a display this year, and now I am starting to realize what I got myself into! I think the best way to go is not to freak out too much. If something doesn't work out how you want it to, that's fine-after all, the folded models are what count most, not the presentation or the CPs or diagrams.

Thanks for the advice, Joe-I will try some of those ideas. One of the main things I am fussing about is how to attach the stands to the models. And I have had a change of plans-I will be driving to the convention rather than flying (much less transportation worries \:D/ ).