What does everybody do with their creations?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

It depends.... If I make it at my house, and it is a new model than I will keep it and put it in my collection. If I fold it in somepublic place (E.G. school, plane, or a.... park bench....) then I will give them to people around me.

Aaron
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

I keep `em :o
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

I made this KNL Dragon in someones house, then gave it to them.
3 days later they said they threw it away, because the house had to much clutter.
For some reason I had a hard time knowing how to react.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

I don't think anyone else does what my wife suggested...

anyway the story pans out with me and her walking out one frosty morning and violently attacking a small ash sapling, ripping it off of its base, carrying it back home, filling a flower pot with stones from the local beach and "planting" our sapling and hanging all my most decorative origami from it. It looks great, works as a christmas tree as well as an all-year ornament, and gets the origami off the flat spaces, windowsills, floor, computer, tv and people's laps whenever they sat down, which were the previous homes of the aforementioned models.

I seriously recommend a tree as a display method... it gives an interesting juxtaposition between organic and man-made... and it can display any floral models beautifully, too... a little blossoming tree in your front room
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Whenever I fold a model that would be nice enough to give away, I keep the original and then fold some more models for people that want them... Keeping old models reminds me of how much I have improved.
Also, if I go to someones house and they have something like post-it notes lying around, I make a couple of cranes and just stick them to things around the house :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
franz

Post by franz »

usually I leave simple models (crane, frog, ...) at the places I´ve folded them. if it´s in some public place, it´s very nice to look at the reactions of the people finding the models :)

complex models are at the moment in a shelf, but I think I will pick up the idea of hermanntrude ...

I´m also often asked to fold this or that for colleagues or friends. so they get such a model - but I always keep the first folded model I´m satisfied with.
franz
Friet

Post by Friet »

I really like giving models to friends etc. In college I often fold Voyer's horse or Joisel's rat and some smaller models, and most of the time someone sitting next to me asks if he/she can have it. Or I just put something in the hospital (med school) or on a train. Yesterday I finished my first Hojyo's Icarus and put it in a friend's house so he and his family can see it when they get back from their vacation :)

Normally I keep the best-looking models for my own collection though.
paperz

Post by paperz »

Any models that i fold, i keep by my bedside for one night so that its the first thing i see the next morning....and then give it to my friends or sister. The completion of a model everytime never fails to amaze me....i keep thinking what would have inspired the designer to come up with it.
4sigma

Post by 4sigma »

I certainly give a lot of origami away. Leaving dollar bill origami as tips is a great waitress-pleaser, and almost always ensures you very good service if you go backk.

I also have a drawer full of ones that I am unwilling to simply get rid of, and my mom has a bulletin board at home with some of my creations. (I was a little freaked out about sticking pins in them, but this didn't seem to bother mom, and they're at her house, so....)

Other creative ways of dispersing my origami that I've tried:
  • Use them as decorations on Christmas presents. This works really well with models made of foil paper, and you save money since you don't have to buy a bow! If you don't celebrate Christmas, then put them on Hanukah presents or whatever holidays you celebrate.
  • On occasion I've made origami mobiles, and given them as a present itself. You just need a few metal or wooden rods, and a bit of string and glue. (Not for the models -- for attaching them to the metal rods!) Make a mobile of cranes, or seahorses, or whatever. One time I made one of assorted insects, with a spider hanging in the middle. All the strings made it look like it was in a web waiting to catch the insects.
  • At work, I decorate my office with them. When people come in and say nice things about them, I offer them one. Then I bring one in from home to replace it
  • Ask your friends what their favorite animal is, and bet that you can make them one. Lots of people ask for dogs and cats. A few will get creative and ask for stuff like scorpions, butterflies, or dragons. Be sure you have a good library! :D
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I give them all to my mum who displays them all over her desk and shelves at her office. Everyone's jealous of her decorations and I even got commissions from her workmates! :)
steyen

Post by steyen »

usually i fold the models and give them to my younger brothers and sister. If i can fold it beautifully, that will inspire them to fold one too .
and i often fold origami hearts and boxes as a present for my girlfriend.
recently i folded this to decorate the message board for my College Ball
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

I give them all away.
My wife is already complaining about the clutter at home. :D
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

My Mom loves me very much, and I her. So she asked my dad, who teaches sheetmetal at a special school (where my mum teaches english aswell) to make a display. So now I've got four shelves (rather big ones at that to fill. :D Well, actually, it's already full :P See my collection in my photos (see signature)

Now when I create something, I display it next to my pc for a few weeks, then when I visit, I leave it there.
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I have recently started folding a crane from a napkin in every restaurant I go to... Most of them throw it out, but maybe someday someone will appreciate my work
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
metrodj

Post by metrodj »

On my flight back from Gen Con in Indianapolis to Phoenix (3+ hours) I folded about 10 of the "unknown author" penguins (the one that starts with 2 flaps of a blintz base reverse folded) and a Kawasaki rose and leaves and stem from Origami, Roses and Math. I folded the stem up and stuck it inside the bottom of the rose, and gave it to the lady who was sitting by the window in my row. She said "That's beautiful" and then went back to reading her magazine. Her husband, who was sitting between us, was actually more fascinated with it, I guess because he watched me fold it. He snatched it right up and held onto it the entire rest of the flight. I then gathered up all the penguins and walked back to the flight staff area, and gave them to the flight attendants. They said they would take them all home and give them to their kids.