Joseph Wu's works

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Joseph Wu

Re: art from instruction

Post by Joseph Wu »

malachi wrote:I just want to preface this by saying that I have a lot of respect for you, Mr. Wu, and I think that you have done a lot for origami.
Thank you. Please call me Joseph. (Mr. Wu is my dad...)
malachi wrote:However, I am inclined to respectfully disagree with a couple of your points.
Disagree? No, not really. A little bit of hair splitting, maybe. :)
malachi wrote:I take it you don't consider music to be art?
I think it should be obvious that I was referring to visual arts. But, just to use your example of music (which can most definitely be an art), what proportion of people would raise a stink if Hillary Duff didn't release a songbook to go with her new album? (Yeah, yeah...I have a niece who just turned 7...) Now compare that to the proportion of people who do raise a stink when models are not diagrammed...
malachi wrote:Better is relative.

I think you are ignoring a part of the paperfolding community that might be quite large. There are people that fold paper that do not aspire to design at all, and there are others that aspire to design, but it is a very low priority. Just like many people learn to play a musical instrument yet have no interest in writing music, they simply wish to reproduce the work of others that they enjoy.

For you, origami is an art of creation. For many others origami is a craft of skillful reproduction. I think both have a place.
Yes, both have a place, and I'm not ignoring anyone. But consider this: the bulk of the people who whine to me about not diagramming are people who are skilled enough to design, but appear to be too lazy to do so. So many times I get emails that go something like, "I've folded everything I could find online, but I can't fold your stuff because there are no diagrams. You should share more. Diagram these models for me to fold." These are the people I'm responding to. They have the skill to alleviate their own boredom by designing their own models. They have no need for me to do it for them (and, I might add, no right to ask me to do so).

When someone reaches the limits of what is available to them, they have three choices:
1. move on to something else,
2. seek to expand the boundaries they feel limited by, or
3. whine against the injustice of a world that won't give them what they feel they so justly deserve.
I'm reacting to those who have made the third choice by pointing out the second choice. (The first choice should be obvious, so I usually don't bother to mention it.)

In principle, I don't mind when people ask me about diagrams. I'm flattered, really. However, when the answer is already known, why bother asking? It's a waste of time for both the asker and me. Sometimes people will ask with honeyed words, hoping that somehow I'll make an exception for them. If I won't diagram for myself or for people I know, why would I do something I don't like doing for someone I don't know? And, as already mentioned so many times before, I really get tired of those people who demand diagrams, claiming that I owe it to them. Grow up.
malachi wrote:I'm not saying that you are obligated to document your designs. I understand your unwillingness to do so.
As previously stated, I do document my designs, but not in a form usable by anyone else. Thus, there's no point in releasing them.
malachi wrote:I just think that there are many people who are not interested enough in design to be inspired by lack of diagrams. From my point of view, this part of your argument is a little weak.
:) Argument? What argument? I'm offering an explanation of what I think about this whole situation. And for those who don't like my explanation, I offer an option for how to go beyond their need for diagrams. I'm not trying to convince anyone that I'm right. You can agree or disagree as you like, but you are unlikely to sway opinion, either.

You've already pointed out that we are talking about two different views on origami: art vs. craft. Yes, I strive for art when I do origami (usually). And, yes, others enjoy origami as a craft. As you say, there's a place for both. What I'm saying is that when an origami crafter reaches the limits of what they can do, they have a better option for dealing with that limitation than to come pestering me to diagram for them.

I just reread what I wrote, and I know it sounds a bit harsh. I'm not trying to pick on you, malachi, but your comments raised some interesting points for me to respond to. Other than that, you can blame the tone on the fact that both my son and I have bad colds, and I was up most of the night comforting him. :cry:
malachi

Post by malachi »

Joseph Wu wrote:
malachi wrote:I take it you don't consider music to be art?
I think it should be obvious that I was referring to visual arts. But, just to use your example of music (which can most definitely be an art), what proportion of people would raise a stink if Hillary Duff didn't release a songbook to go with her new album? (Yeah, yeah...I have a niece who just turned 7...) Now compare that to the proportion of people who do raise a stink when models are not diagrammed...
I try not to take things for granted, sorry if I missed something obvious.

Actually, a lot of music is written down in a fairly standard notation before it's sold to a record label to be assigned to an artist. Granted, modern artists don't release songbooks, but if you look at classical music, everything has to be documented before it is performed, and often it is released in that format.

However, if you'd like, we can talk about basket weaving instead. There are a handful of basket designers in the world, and many basket weavers. The weavers collect kits, patterns, and go to classes (that usually come with a kit) to learn these designs. Most basket weavers don't design new baskets, they simply recreate documented models.

However, I think I'm starting to ramble. However, I think it's important to note that the people you're talking about, that beg you to diagram things, are a small, but vocal, minority. I'm fairly certain that there are far more paper folders that view your designs and think they are fantastic, yet they don't ask for diagrams (and they don't design anything, either). I'd be in that group.
Joseph Wu wrote: Yes, both have a place, and I'm not ignoring anyone. But consider this: the bulk of the people who whine to me about not diagramming are people who are skilled enough to design, but appear to be too lazy to do so. So many times I get emails that go something like, "I've folded everything I could find online, but I can't fold your stuff because there are no diagrams. You should share more. Diagram these models for me to fold." These are the people I'm responding to. They have the skill to alleviate their own boredom by designing their own models. They have no need for me to do it for them (and, I might add, no right to ask me to do so).
I don't agree with you that technical ability in folding equates to skill in design. I have folded some fairly complex models, yet I do not consider myself to have the ability to design new models. It takes a certain talent, I believe, to design well and I don't have it. To compare things to music again, there are many technically talented players (and singers) that don't have the talent to write new music. The skill of reproducion and the skill of creation are different things.

Oh, and to nitpick, they do have the right to ask (in the USA, anyway) due to the freedom of speech, but they shouldn't get their hopes up because you have the right to say no just as easily.
Joseph Wu wrote: In principle, I don't mind when people ask me about diagrams. I'm flattered, really. However, when the answer is already known, why bother asking? It's a waste of time for both the asker and me. Sometimes people will ask with honeyed words, hoping that somehow I'll make an exception for them. If I won't diagram for myself or for people I know, why would I do something I don't like doing for someone I don't know?
What if we offer you money? ;)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

malachi wrote:Oh, and to nitpick, they do have the right to ask (in the USA, anyway) due to the freedom of speech, but they shouldn't get their hopes up because you have the right to say no just as easily.
It's not so much that they ask, but rather the way the request is phrased, ie usually variations on a theme of "GIMME THAT OR YOU'RE SELFISH!" (often laced with colourful profanities and other interjections). Although I blame it mostly on the message medium - email gives you the illusion of anonymity and power. In RL conventions, folders tend to be generally nicer.
malachi wrote:What if we offer you money? ;)
I'll gladly throw in US$50. :D
Friet

Post by Friet »

I agree that diagrams are essential for beginning origamists. It's a good way to learn the basic skills that any origami artist needs. (knowledge of basic folds etc) I've been folding for more then a year now, and I've folded almost all the diagrams that I could find on the web. Right now I'm starting to fold from books. (got Satoshi Kamiya's book in the mail 2 days ago).

I'm definately planning on desiging my own models at some point. But frankly I have no clue where to begin when designing a model. All I do now is make some changes to existing models. (I made a dragon based on a crane etc.)

and btw. Thanks Joseph for the book recommendations! I'll certainly try to get my hands on them!

cheers!

By the way. How ironic that Joseph Wu has newbie as his usertitle :D
Joseph Wu

Lice eggs

Post by Joseph Wu »

malachi: yes, very nit-picky. I'll try to be more precise for you: they have no right to make demands of me. (In other words, no moral right, which in this case has nothing to do with legal rights of free speech. And I'm not in the USA, either, although freedom of speech is also enshrined in our Charter of Rights and Freedoms.)
Friet wrote:I'm definately planning on desiging my own models at some point. But frankly I have no clue where to begin when designing a model. All I do now is make some changes to existing models. (I made a dragon based on a crane etc.)

and btw. Thanks Joseph for the book recommendations! I'll certainly try to get my hands on them!
Go straight to Robert Lang's book, then. It's the easiest to buy right now (since it's still in print), and is the most comprehensive.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

Friet wrote:I'm definately planning on desiging my own models at some point. But frankly I have no clue where to begin when designing a model. All I do now is make some changes to existing models. (I made a dragon based on a crane etc.)
That is designing! Just because you started with an existing model rather than a flat sheet, doesn't mean you didn't design it.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

malachi wrote:I don't agree with you that technical ability in folding equates to skill in design. I have folded some fairly complex models, yet I do not consider myself to have the ability to design new models. It takes a certain talent, I believe, to design well and I don't have it. To compare things to music again, there are many technically talented players (and singers) that don't have the talent to write new music. The skill of reproducion and the skill of creation are different things.
Yes and no. Talent means it comes naturally, but design (whether it be origami design or some other type of design) is a skill that can be learned. Some people will just have to work harder at it than others.
mleonard wrote:That is designing! Just because you started with an existing model rather than a flat sheet, doesn't mean you didn't
design it.
I heartily agree! My first attempt was a modification of the horse in Kasahara's Creative Origami. I turned it into a unicorn. Not very original (and I would never call it "my" design), but it was a start.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Nearly every model I've seen begins with one classic base or another. There are so many patterns that start with a birdbase that I cannot even begin to count. Even a few of Joseph's patterns begin with Montrel bases.

The flip side of that, though, is that those that start with their own type of base are either brilliant or they......vaccuum.
omzig89

Post by omzig89 »

Stephenli wrote:No, Mr. Wu does not create diagram. His site has all the diagrams and crease pattern he has. It is much better to ask him to teach you to fold the model than asking him for the diagram.
:x Doh! :x I don't live in Vancouver BC!!!!! I live closer to the other Vancouver though. Still... What would I do? Just call him up and say, hey can we meet and could u teach me the grand dragon? I think not. He probably has hundreds of messages on his phone or email already from people around the world. Besides, he may not be listed in the phone book. It just kinda leaves me hangin... :cry: :cry: :cry:
omzig89

Re: What?!

Post by omzig89 »

saj wrote:BigFIFan: calm down! You mention that creators are greedy by not publishing their diagrams. Have you considered the time and effort required to make a complete set of diagrams?

And from what I've heard, Joseph (Wu) is always willing to share his folding methods at conventions. Oh, and remember, that Joseph is a full time Origamist; and by that I mean that his income depends on his work. In most cases, he signs the copyright of a model over to his client and thus can't publish any diagrams.

Just my 2 cents.

saj
Good work, I couldn't have done much better myself and I've been folding for about a year with 2 original intermediate models. I'm gladly willing to share them - in fact I made the models to diagram and give away - I've just got a full workload at school and everything. So, way to ask people to be considerate! Phew, some strong emotions on this forum!

- omzig89
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

omzig89 wrote: :x Doh! :x I don't live in Vancouver BC!!!!! I live closer to the other Vancouver though. Still... What would I do? Just call him up and say, hey can we meet and could u teach me the grand dragon? I think not. He probably has hundreds of messages on his phone or email already from people around the world. Besides, he may not be listed in the phone book. It just kinda leaves me hangin... :cry: :cry: :cry:
As I said on the first page of this thread, I do teach my models. We have a regular origami club meeting here in Vancouver where I routinely teach my designs (or other stuff, depending on what I feel like). Our meetings last for 3 hours, so I limit myself to models that can be taught in that amount of time. So, yes, the grand dragon would be out, but many other models are possible. As I also mentioned in that earlier message, sometimes I don't remember a model well enough to teach it. Them's the breaks.

If you do make it up to Vancouver (BC), you would be welcome to join us at our club meetings. There's at least one person living in Vancouver, WA, who occasionally makes a trek up here to visit, so you might be able to arrange a car pool. Let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

For more details on our club meetings, see here:
http://www.origami.as/Info/palm.php

As for contacting me, the preferred method is via the email form on my website.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Joseph Wu wrote:As I said on the first page of this thread, I do teach my models.
Joe, what if someone paid you to do a live webcast? :D

Since it's so easy to get hold of an inexpensive video recorder these days, origami classes during conventions can be easily webcasted, either live or using a pay-per-view system. Then the folks who can't attend conventions can still watch and learn the model; viewing fees goes into the hire and maintenance of a high bandwidth website, complete with video anti-piracy tools and whatnot (well, it can be circumvented, but then what's stopping someone from making diagrams and distributing them too?)

Now I'd better go patent my "Novel online pedagogical method and system for folded paper constructs"... :D
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

"Gime that or your "shelfish? haah
Vancover, cannot it is far way :o
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes, but it can also some confuse.
Go straight to Robert Lang's book, then. It's the easiest to buy right now (since it's still in print), and is the most comprehensive.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Pardon me, friend Rock, but it appears that either your translation software or your spell checker is on the fritz. Can you say again please?