Why do you Fold?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Cupcake
Buddha

Why do you Fold?

Post by Cupcake »

I was just wondering, why do you fold? I fold not only to get the final result, but also to learn so that I can design better. Also, why did you start folding? For me, it was because of my brother folding when he was in grade two (I was in grade primary at the time)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

to me origami is a kind of meditation - a 'do', if you know what i mean
PLP

Post by PLP »

I like to fold because of the chalange it is, every time you fold a new model, generaly a hard one, an when it's done you think " i did it... YEAH"!!!!

I think you undestand what i mean!!! :D
don't wory, be happy!!!
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Same as Grizzly Man. I fold to mediate and to relax.
Watusa

Post by Watusa »

i fold because my hands seem to enjoy it. :)

also i enjoy the challenge, and the feeling of getting a fold exactly right is similar to the little burst of satisfaction when you simplify an expression or something in maths.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I do it because it gets the girls. 8) Or not :( haha
I really fold because of that same satisfaction and meditation as others have mentioned but I guess I also get a feeling a being closer to the culture of my Japanese side... it's hard to put in words but maybe some of you understand.
Another reason is that giving origami as a gift has the worth of time, effort, skill, and thought that is greater than say, chocolates, flowers, or coffee mugs and other things you could just buy at the store.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Yeah, and the look that people give you...
"You're giving this? To me? Don't you want to keep it?"
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

I fold because origami is an art form that appeals to my more technical nature, and it is a great way to blow off some steam, (the general relaxation and meditation idea). it feels so exhillerating to take a humble piece of paper and watch it come alive in my hands.
I also love giving origami to people, it is so fulfilling seeing the looks on people's faces, when i give them something and they are like " holy crap is this only one piece of paper?"
:D

Rdude
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

My favorite part is when you have a model which doesn't even look like what it's supposed to until the last second. I've always been fascinated by that. :wink:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
orion119net

Post by orion119net »

I fold because I like to make things. I like to take legos and turn them into stuff, I like to take a blank sheet of paper and scribble on it, I like to take a polygon and turn it into a character. I like to make stuff!

Its always nice to annoy people with "Oh, its not really that hard. You should see THIS model."

I also really enjoy the challenge of taking a single piece of paper and turning it into a model.

And I'm partially Japanese.
giriniss

Post by giriniss »

folding keeps hands and mind occupied, sort of meditation, i think
Hiba

Post by Hiba »

To me To fold is to "do". Just like grizzly man's opinion. To do is to find your true self.

Scientifically, human brain has 2 seperated parts on the right and left that has nerve-cell connect to the hands. To fold is to stimulate the hands so it will effects the brain as well.

Origami is just a way for me to find out the truly truth beside other ways...
Martial and Arts
lotsofsnails

Post by lotsofsnails »

I like origami because I enjoy the action of folding itself. Also I love to design models, its a lovely feeling when you've designed something really good that you can be proud of.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Yes, designing is my best reason for folding. I'm generally just learning so I can fold better.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

When Did I start to Fold?
When I was a 5 year old kid, my aunt taught me how to do the jumping frog, since then I used to wonder its so cool....

Why Did I start to Fold?
When I was in 1st grade my teacher gave me a Grade 'C' for a Jokers Face, the first step of the fishbase. Coz mine tore in the corner. I felt utterly disappointed as all the boys in the class did it so well I thought oh crap I'm useless. I can't even fold, then I tried and tried to do better everyday....

Why I still fold?
It helps erase bad memories
It eases tension.
It increases my concentration.
I also do it in order to gain attention :) I like it when kids see me fold. The best thing is when u give them the model.... "a smile" :) That simple smile keeps u going on and on... every smile means I've made one person happy!! :) When I can do that small thing and make others happy I feel happy inside too... It keeps me going on and on... So, I create new models thinking others will like it. When I'm in a dull mood I fold the ones I had created before or the models which which I like very much.... (Edwin's models make me smile) they're so cute... I also fold so that I can have others comments it feels really nice when someone makes a model which you have created... or when they say its nice!!!
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi