Jeff Cole - Big Gulper

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
2hot4u5423

Jeff Cole - Big Gulper

Post by 2hot4u5423 »

I really need help with a model. it is in easy origami fold a day calender....with Jeff Cole...2010....I need help with the Big Gulper model (june 11)....can some one please post a tutorial on youtube so i can see it better...i really would appreciate it :oops:
thanks cooper XD
JIMMY XD!
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I can't help you with a video (someone else may have that capability), but if you meet us half way, we may be able to walk you thru it. You've jumped into the middle of the calendar, skipping more than 100 models of folding experience, and the Gulper looks like an advanced beginner model.

1. I'm assuming that you know how to make a Helmet Base, and I assume that you've read the section in the Calendar on reading Origami diagrams. If not, go do those two things.

2. Then try to fold Steps 1 - 7, and come back and tell us where you're having problems. It would be very helpful if you could post a picture of your attempt of where you are stuck.

- Hank Simon
2hot4u5423

Post by 2hot4u5423 »

i get stuck on step 5.... :cry:
JIMMY XD!
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

OK. Lemme rehash the steps:

Helmet Base:
1. Fold in half diagonally, white side up, resulting in a triangle.
2. Position the triangle with the long side at the top, horizontally.
3. Fold the Top Left Corner down to the Center.
4. Fold the Top Right Corner down to the Center.
The result is a diamond shape, with a flap on the right and the left.

Big Gulper, Part 1 - Friday, June 11 (Jeff Cole)
1. Pre-crease: Bookfold the lower left side of the diamond, unfold.
Bookfold the lower right side of the diamond, unfold.
Open the two flaps, unfolding to Step 2 of the Helmet Base.
2. Align the Mountain fold on the left flap with the larger Valley Fold.
Repeat on the Right flap, resulting in the picture in Step 3.
3. Where the two folds touch the lower side, fold the flap up (north), keeping the inside edges aligned. (I may not have this correct.)
4. There are two points are the bottom of the diamond. Take only the top point, the upper flap and Valley fold it to touch the top, horizontal edge. Your result should be the picture shown in Step 5.

Step 5. Mountain fold the top flap back down, in half to touch its lower edge, resulting in the PARTIAL view (this is only the top flap) shown to the left of the full view of Step 5.

Mountain fold the top flap in half again, aligning to the top and bottom horizontal edges, resulting in the little picture shown just above the text.
Fold that in half then unfold.

If you did all of those steps correctly, good job... Jeff left out a step.

In step 5, you have marked all of the folds needed to make the accordion pleat shown in Step 6.

A. Unfold back to the end of Step 4, or the beginning of Step 5, where the top flap is Valley folded to touch the top, resulting in the full picture in Step 5. You should have 7 creases, marking 8 sections.
B. Counting from top to bottom, Valley fold the 7th crease down. (Do NOT unfold the flap.)
C. Valley fold the 6th crease up, valley fold the 5th crease down, and so forth. The idea is that you pre-creased in Step 5, and the unfold, and refold as needed to get the accordion fold in Step 6.

Having said that, I am not completely clear about the diagrams, because they are not consistent (probably did a cut& paste without checking.)

You may want to use my instructions for the Bottom Part, shown in Part 2.

However, to get the nose, the middle flap will have to point up. Therefore, I believe that in my Step B. above, you DO want to unfold the flap first, and then Valley fold the 7th crease UP.... and continue from there.

I didn't double check my instructions, but see if you can follow my intent, and let us know what happens. I'll revise, if needed.

- Hank Simon
2hot4u5423

Post by 2hot4u5423 »

ok thaat was really confusing! tthanks for trying but i still dont get it.... :x arrrgh...im trying to make it for my sis but...im not the britest person on the planet :oops: ....pleeaassssssse find someone to make a video i reaaaallly need visual help....i would appreciate it greatly...is there anyway you could ask some one with a webcam or video camera to help make a video............PLEASE!
thanks for trying to help me i appreciate it grately 8)
please try to do that for me :cry:
JIMMY XD!
hobbestheprince

Post by hobbestheprince »

I would help if I had the diagrams, but alas ... I don't.
hobbestheprince

Post by hobbestheprince »

I now have the diagrams. I will make a video tomorrow if I get the chance. It's a fairly straightforward model. I work tonight so I won't have the time, and I have two little ones to take care of, so my time is fairly sparse.

I will do my best to make a video tomorrow. I'll get to use my new HD webcam :)
rhona_marion

Post by rhona_marion »

Hi. If you could tell us the website for your video that would be great. I also need help and they dont have a key for the symbols they use so it makes it harder. Thanks! :D
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

The Tabs in front of the calendar have all of the symbols and bases.

- Hank Simon
rhona_marion

Post by rhona_marion »

where is the calender? im still having trouble finding the video. :oops:
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

The calendar is where the diagrams are, and the Tabs are in front of the Calendar, containing the Symbols.

- Hank Simon
rhona_marion

Post by rhona_marion »

sorry but i still dont get what you are talking about.. HOw to i get to the diagrams or tags? :oops:
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I believe you may have come in during the middle of the post.

The diagrams are in the 2010 Origami Fold a Day Calendar. There are many versions, so the one with these diagrams has the picture of an Origami jungle scene on front, Blue Origami Letters with yellow outline, and the most important part is that it says "with Jeff Cole" on the bottom left of the box.

The Big Gulper diagrams are on days June 11 - June 13. These calendars are less than $20USD, and may be on clearance in some stores, because the new year has begun.

- Hank Simon