Monthly Folding Challenge - December 2008

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Sunburst

Monthly Folding Challenge - December 2008

Post by Sunburst »

This month's topic is : Holidays.
Basically, you can fold anything that references or is identified to a specific holiday. For example, Santa Claus from Christmas or a Jack-O-Lantern from Halloween. But, the topic isn't limited to the more popular holidays like Christmas, Easter or Halloween : it can be from any holiday of your choice like one that is specific to your country. Also, it has to be an existing holiday : don't make something up (such as blueberry-pie-eating day).

The rules for this contest are :
- Specify the holiday linked to your model
- You can use any number of sheets
- No cutting, taping or gluing (except MC) allowed
- Preferably a square for the starting shape

If the topic is too vague, feel free to tell me : I can always change it.
juston won the previous contest and will be the judge for this month's challenge. Get creative!
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

This is perfect! I've been working on designing a cornicopia for thanksgiving but ran behind with Nanowrimo so this gives me an excuse to finish it! Yay! :D
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

hopefully i can think up something:)
Origami forums design group viewtopic.php?p=49612#49612
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

Can we do something for "talk like a pirate day"? :D

Okay, I'm just kidding. My real question is, would a werewolf be okay (for like halloween I guess)? Because I've actually been working on a werewolf design.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Yup, werewolves for Halloween are fine. Just another specification, if you go with Halloween, please stick with the more representative models such as pumpkins, vampires, witches and the like. Don't start making something like a businessman just because you can dress up as one on Halloween.
juston

Post by juston »

BluePaper wrote:Can we do something for "talk like a pirate day"? :D
Only if it's an action model that looks like it's talking... like a pirate... :wink:
Oruhito

Post by Oruhito »

What a great contest this month! This gives us a lot of artistic freedom. I'll conjure up something :)
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

But, shouldn't the new challenge be opened by the winner of the last one? :wink:
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

No, last month winner is judge of this month and decides the topic for next month.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

mrsriggins wrote:This is perfect! I've been working on designing a cornicopia for thanksgiving but ran behind with Nanowrimo so this gives me an excuse to finish it! Yay! :D
Mentioning cornucopia gave me a great idea on how to make one, but you brought it up so I won't do it this time.
How did Nanowrimo go? Did you hit 50k? I did it last year but not this year because I was getting married + honeymooning in Nov.
madarko

Post by madarko »

just made this by doodling, i think it looks a bit like an angel for a christmas tree

not too happy with the wings, but i didn't know what it was going to be until it was almost finished
have fun.
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

kareshi wrote:
mrsriggins wrote:This is perfect! I've been working on designing a cornicopia for thanksgiving but ran behind with Nanowrimo so this gives me an excuse to finish it! Yay! :D
Mentioning cornucopia gave me a great idea on how to make one, but you brought it up so I won't do it this time.
How did Nanowrimo go? Did you hit 50k? I did it last year but not this year because I was getting married + honeymooning in Nov.
Yeah I got 65k this year. Go ahead and make the cornucopia! I might not get around to finishing mine I have a pumpkin that I am going to submit that was supposed to go with the cornucopia but I've been swamped lately, starting a buisness takes a lot of work! Even if we both submit cornucopias yours might be better :D
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
romane

Post by romane »

is a pinguin okay for christmas?
Robert Lang: You take an idea, combine it with a square, and you get an origami figure.
ori_dragon3
Location: A para-dimensional warp in space-time. Otherwise known as the Homsar Reservation.

Post by ori_dragon3 »

I'm doing this
:lol: :shock: :roll:
WAaAaAi'm A Trendy Tote Bag!- Homsar
From for kids
artur biernacki
Forum Sensei

Post by artur biernacki »

This is my Christmas tree from bobms.
Inspired on Cupcake.
Artur
My flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12569445@N02/