Monthly Folding Challenge- October 2008

Friendly design and folding competitions.
BluePaper

Monthly Folding Challenge- October 2008

Post by BluePaper »

The theme for this month's challenge will be mythological creatures. I you need help choosing a subject here is a list I have found useful in the past :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_le ... _creatures

The judge for this month will be Jonnycakes. Good luck everyone!
Android raptor

Post by Android raptor »

Hmmm, I designed a Griffon a while back but I don't think I ever posted it anywhere. Is it okay to enter?
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Android raptor wrote:Hmmm, I designed a Griffon a while back but I don't think I ever posted it anywhere. Is it okay to enter?
Quite the same question (newbie question Image )
Have the models entered in this challenge to be brand new or not? :?:
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Normal condition of past challenges was that they should be new to the public (not necessarily new to you).
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Victoria Serova

Post by Victoria Serova »

Gryphon, designed and folded by me
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Erm, sorry to be an arse, but this was the subject of a previous challenge of the month - there is very little distinction between 'fantasy' and 'mythological creatures'.

viewtopic.php?t=3064&highlight=d20

Would you like to limit the scope of the challenge, say, to Greek Mythology only? (Gryphons existed in Greek mythos).
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Or how about Greek gods/goddesses? I don't know if there has been a challenge topic that is limited to humanoid figures (I certainly don't recall one offhand).
origamibrent814

Post by origamibrent814 »

well i designed this yesterday before i knew the topic changed but anyway, I designed a Kraken which is technically a mythological creature with color changed eyes. Will fold a better one with better paper. This was the only one i folded as of now. Sorry for AWFUL quality : (

OMG. If someone wouldnt mind explaining how to put images on.... this is annoying

...as if we wouldn't have a sticky topic about this subject: viewtopic.php?t=721
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

Sorry about that. I tried looking for past challenges to see if it had been done already, but I didn't go back that far back...

Though when I looked at the topic you showed, the theme was not "mythical creatures" in the sense I am refering to. What I meant was any creature from mythology, not fictional monsters like the ones from that month's challenge (though I guess any mytholigical creatue is technically fictional). But if you wantwe can change the topic to avoid confusion.
floopate

Post by floopate »

well, you could also view it as a way to see how the art has grown in since the year that challenge was posted.

Not to mention there is a fine line between fictional monsters and mythological creatures... a VERY fine line though.

in Mythological creatures you have to find them in the old stories, like the greek mythologies, or the roman, or wherever your native place of birth is. Fictional are just made up creatures out of the heads of creative people...

does that help?
-Gino S-

My Photo Albums http://floopate.multiply.com
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

BluePaper wrote: Sorry about that. I tried looking for past challenges to see if it had been done already, but I didn't go back that far back...

Though when I looked at the topic you showed, the theme was not "mythical creatures" in the sense I am refering to. What I meant was any creature from mythology, not fictional monsters like the ones from that month's challenge (though I guess any mytholigical creatue is technically fictional). But if you wantwe can change the topic to avoid confusion.
Don't be sorry-it's an honest mistake, if one at all. The topic choice is up to you-don't change it just because others are not happy with it. Mythological creatures is fine as long as you're okay with it.
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Daydreamer wrote:Normal condition of past challenges was that they should be new to the public (not necessarily new to you).
Ok.
SO my avatar would be not accepted Image
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I think your avatar should be just fine, if you point it to the Left and maybe change it to be purple, so that it is a "horse of a different color" ... perhaps coming out of left field. (For those outside of the US, that's just a couple of very bad puns.... people inside the US may not think that it is funny, either :-)

BTW - I really like the Gryphon ! (But I don't get a vote :-(

- Hank Simon
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

No, OrigamiGianluca's avatar wouldn't count because it has been shown on this Forum beforehand. The subject would be ok though.
Finward

Post by Finward »

The monster of Tagua Tagua lagoon.
During times of colony, it was heard of a weird monster that devoured cows in Tagua tagua lagoon in Chile. At the end, the monster was nothing more than plant formations floating in the lake where cows climbed to eat and suddenly where taken away by the flow.
Well the monster was forgotten, until many years later this illustration appeared in the cover of a book about mythology.
This is not a new model, but at least is unpublished. I created it one or two months ago discussing with a friend a nice challenge. So officially, this model is dedicated to Sara Martín.