New Books by Nicolas TERRY

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
TERRY Nicolas

New Books by Nicolas TERRY

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Hi all

With authorization of Saj, Moderator and Creator of this forum, I'm happy to post this new topic about my next projects.

Although some could regard that as publicity, my main motivation is above all to have a space to talk with you, share ideas and receive feedbacks. I could also be interested to require your opinion on such or such choice for the differents projects that I have and you could so participate to them. And of course, I will inform you about all the last news.

Nicolas TERRY
Last edited by TERRY Nicolas on September 10th, 2008, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

I'm happy to announce to you that the next book will be published this year.
The tentative date of publication is November 2008 even although many delay can arrived for so much reason.
It will be the third in the Passion Origami Collection

It's name will be "Licence to fold" in reference to James Bond's movie Licence to Kill.

This new book is a collective book with unpublished models of one of the most famous origami artists.
You could say me : What ? An other new collective book ?
So of course, I didn't want to make a new collective book like all the other one.

By going to many origami conventions and looking at many galleries on Internet, I found exceptional master pieces. But while discussing with their authors, I realized that many of these treasures will probably finish in one limps, forgotten. Why? because sometimes the author does not realize of the quality of his model, often because he does not have the time to draw the diagram, or even sometimes he doesn't know how to diagram.

So I decided to take my Indiana Jones's hat 8) and I left to research these lost treasures.
Thus I did not launch a general call for the publication of diagram. I have first selected the models. Then I contacted the authors and we have to seek a solution to be able to publish the model. Thus sometimes it was necessary that I travel to meet the author directly in order he explains to me how to fold the model. I also accepted to draw several diagrams myself. Sometimes the difficulties was in the way of presenting a complex diagram, or sometimes the inexperience of some young artists required councils from me and improvements of the diagrams.

Most of the publication in this book, with its way, was thus a challenge and we are very proud to have succeeded in for each one finding a solution to publish it and make it available to the community.

The book contains 4/5 of complex (and even ultra complex) models with unpublished models.
And finaly, the book contains 2 articles about how design in origami.

I will give you, in the next post, some news more about the artists and the models.
Hope to read you.

Nicolas
Last edited by TERRY Nicolas on September 12th, 2008, 1:55 am, edited 6 times in total.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The book contains 4/5 of complex (and even ultra complex) models with unpublished models.
A half part are from some of the best new rising-stars in origami.
A half part are from some of the most famous Origami masters.

And finaly, the book contains 2 articles about how design in origami.
Wow, that sounds like the perfect book to me.
How many models can we expect to see in this new book?
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

20 models in 140 pages
20 page of texts
4 color pages with photos of the models
Total page = 164

Nicolas
NL3181

Post by NL3181 »

How much $$ is the book ? list of models name ?
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

As all the books of the collection : Hight Quality Hard cover for 29.99 euro
Available in my shop origami-shop.com or in many origami associations.

I will post step by step the list of models.

Nicolas
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

TERRY Nicolas wrote:By going to many origami conventions and looking at many galleries on Internet, I found exceptional master pieces. But while discussing with their authors, I realized that many of these treasures will probably finish in one limps, forgotten. Why? because sometimes the author does not realize of the quality of his model, often because it does not have the time to draw the diagram, or even sometimes it does not know how to diagram.
If you want to get people to diagram their models, I don't think you should refer to them as 'it'. Image

Sorry, I had to do that.

This book sounds really cool! I hope some of Kamiya's models can sneak their way in!
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Do you accept preorders?
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Pre-orders : nope yet ! sorry
But I hope to present the book for the "Ultimate Origami Convention" from 8 to 11 nov in Lyon (France) (see http://ooraa.free.fr)
If no problem with the edition, I should distribute the first book during the convention.

Nicolas
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

Sounds Excellent! I remember seeing a rough draft of it when I was at OUSA this year :D
abauseind

Post by abauseind »

Sound really interesting. I'm excited to see the finished book.
euroboy

Post by euroboy »

Mr Terry,

Will kamiya´s and Brain´s models inclu in the new book ?
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

Wow! This sounds awesome, I have been wondering when your next book would come. I am eagerly anticipating its release, especially if it includes complex-supercomplex models (and unpublished as well :shock: ). I admire your works, both your creations and your books :D
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Thanks for your positives feedbacks.
Unfortunately, Kamiya Satoshi and Brian Chan are not in the book.
But I'm sure you will like to know that the famous eagle of Nguyen Hung Cuong will be published in the book.

#1 Eagle by Nguyen Hung Cuong
Latest version - Diagram 16 pages / > 210 steps

mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

Whoa :shock: *heart attack* That is great news indeed! This book is looking like it will be the next "must-have".