New book from Origami House?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
merman

New book from Origami House?

Post by merman »

Does anyone know if Origami House is planning a new book soon? There has been a picture of what looks like a whip scorpion on their site for ages. If you change the last number in the url of the picture you get some more pictures of insects.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Other than the long-time rumors of Komatsu and Hojyo having books on the way, I can't really comment on the upcoming Origami House books. I can tell you that those insects are by Katsuta Kyohei. He has a few diagrams and crease patterns published in Tanteidan Books and magazines. The whip spider's CP is in Tanteidan magazine #98.
merman

Post by merman »

Thanks! Love to see a book by Komatsu. His cps are amazing. I dont know why OH has these photos online for so long. Can you tell me who this Hojyo is?
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Takashi Hojyo, known for his incredible human figures. I think he also competed against Kamiya in TV Champion.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i really wish somebody had an "in" at gallery origami house--it seems like they were on a roll for awhile--insects 1+2, satoshi kamiya's book, seiji's book, all came out in a very short period of time (relatively speaking)--and now they've been silent.

anyway... as i've said before, a betting person would pick hideo's book as next. as far as i can count, 20 of his models have already been diagrammed in computer format and everything. it would just be a matter of getting them all together and releasing them in one book. so why this hasn't happened yet is something of a mystery--as komatsu has only otherwise released his models in collections, i don't see how he has yet gotten one penny for all of his work (he also rather prolificly diagrams other author's works).

please no comments about komatsu will do it when he feels like it :roll: . this is not a matter about him actually diagramming the models; the diagrams are done. i suspect that he is saving his lion as the "new" model for his book.
godzebu

Post by godzebu »

I know I am going to get "BURNED" for this...But In my honest opinion...

I see the trend of less and less (Complicated) origami books being published in the future..

Why?

Well, part of the blame falls on those of us who are becoming more and more familiar with solving CP, sharing CP and YES this very FORUM as well.

It takes unbelievable amount of effort to draw a decent diagram (Try to draw simple traditional diagram your self, like lilly, crane, and fogs.. I mean draw them as if you were submitting them to be published.. then you’ll know what I mean).

For people who seem to thrive on making the most creditable works (Damn near perfectionist they are) like Satoshi Kamiya, Takashi Hojyo and others, I see them having a vision that publishing diagram is no longer profitable.

Or perhaps it may be profitable to the designer themselves if they can sell it to the publisher, however, would the publisher invest in printing books that are too expensive to sell? (I know some of us will spend WHAT EVER IT WILL COST to get a hands on....lets say human figures by Takashi Hojyo..but I highly doubt that is the case for ALL who likes to do origami)

Thus, it will all come down to money... I don't see Origami House believing that there aren't too many "worthy" investments out there to publish a new book, and if there are, I highly doubt that it will be super complicated models that will only fit less than 10 models per book... it will be more like mid to high level models that will easily fit about 20-30 models per book...

So STOP SHARING, ASKING, and PUBLISHING COPY RIGHTED MATERIAL!!!

Is that the answer?......

If you can turn off the internet (yes this forum included) and go back to the good old days where we actually had to meet up with the travel agents to book a flight, make calls to order items from the magazines, and oh yeah go to public library to check out an origami books (if they had any) maybe… just maybe then… BUT, I DON’T SEE THAT HAPPENING!

Just my thoughts….

Happy folding
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, but in those "good old days" without internet I haven't even known about Origami House. Would I have bought a book from them? Definitely not. Know why? Because I can't buy anything I do not know about.
Most of the books I own are bought over the Internet. I only know of them because of the Internet. My whole folding skills that enable me to fold the most complex things just started when I took my Fingers the first time on a computer keyboard entering the Internet Origami world. Sure, I folded before I had Internet, but now the things I folded at this time seems like children's play to me. I wouldn't even have dreamt about what is possible in Origami and I am only there where I am today and be who I am because the Origami community is a sharing one, because there are diagrams and CPs and people that take the time to explain you all the how to.

Origami House and all the other publishers reach more customers over the internet than they ever could without. And there are enough people that buy a book even if they already have it on their hard drive.

I like this Forum and am glad to be a member of the Internet Origami community and I try everything to give my part as well.
godzebu

Post by godzebu »

Took the first hit from Anna…..ouch!

Perhaps my overly sarcastic comments have blurred the point I was trying to make.

I WAN’T trying to suggest that the internet does not play integral part in the origami community via providing faster, wider and convenient way to exchange information.
Thus, I was NOT trying to say THIS FORUM was at fault in recent lack of new publications from the Origami House.

My comments regarding “turning off internet… turn back to good old days……” was my sarcastic way to point out that some people (me included) are using the positive natures of today’s “abundant information sources” such as internet to the point that we are actually (and quote bluntly put) “KILLING” the chance of highly complex models diagrams to be published.

Disagree? I am willing to bet that if ADMIN allow anyone on this forum to post anything, better yet, any unpublished diagrams and CP (legal or illegal) for just ONE day; we will see most of highly sought out models (Phoenix 3.0, 3.5, SK’s Sea Tuttle, Lang’s Rose, whole bunch of Dr Lang’s and Origami House scanned books, human figures by Takashi Hojyo and oh yeah even CP of Ryu Zin 2.1 and 3.5) in existence being posted. This very thought disgusts me.

I am not saying this to be pessimistic, but rather, to be realistic about the issue. I agree with you and will do my part to “Defend” the sanctity of origami (via not sharing copyrighted materials) however; I felt the need to express my thoughts on why there may be lack of publications from “origami house” lately.

Happy folding

zebu
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I think there has been a trend of published origami diagrams becoming MORE complicated. Super-complex origami is a relatively recent development (70s and on I think the development of origami theory that enabled these complex designs was developed). Origami will certainly become more and more complex and, with that, more complex diagrams will have to emerge if people wish to share their creations.

I think CP literacy will also rise with origami complexity increasing. Perhaps a new method of diagramming will come about to help explain these complex creations. I think there is a lot in store for the future of origami. There are plenty of new developments being made, and I can't wait to see what will be possible in 10 years from now.
godzebu

Post by godzebu »

Nicely put John,

Perhaps new publication from origami house in far future may be just series of CP and some explanations of complex parts?

I always enjoy the comments by the designer on how they came up with the models.
I find design concepts of complex origami that spawned post 70’s very interesting. I can’t wait to see what will become the next historical milestones of origami (like three theory and box pleating)

zebu
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Zebu makes a very good point. And not even in the sharing pirated diagrams sense. All over this forum you can find guides to folding crease patterns. With so many things being able to be folded from crease pattern alone, why go through the hassle and work of making diagrams. The same people who fold from CP are those that fold the ultra-complex 110-plus-step works. Why have 10 pages of diagrams when a 1-page CP conveys the same information? Also, time and again, we see people who can't understand these painstakingly drawn diagrams, and request photo/video instruction, which takes far less time to draw.

Of course the majority of origami folders can't fold from CP, but the majority of origami folders also can't/don't fold complex. The majority of complex folders still can't fold from CP, though that portion is quickly increasing. Still, we're talking about a niche market (CP) within a niche market (complex origami) within yet another niche (origami). As big as it seems, the CP revolution really does not affect publishers.

As cool as it would be, an all-CP origami book would not sell much.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Maybe a compilation of CPs, together with a picture of the base and the finished model with some major reference points, tips and tricks how to do some final shaping like for example the detailed faces on some of Eileen Tan's models would make up a good book.
Once again the market for such a book would be rather small, but I think it exists.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

That is a very good idea. Reference points for a crease pattern are often not included, and that could help a lot in understanding where to put all of the creases. Help with the final shaping and more complex steps would be enough for a decent CP folder to get the finished result. The book could also show the order to make the pre-creases in, which would further clarify the reference points. Maybe even a simple photo-diagram of the collapsing process? It would be good to keep in mind, though, that just a CP would be much more prone to piracy than a full diagram.
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

origamimasterjared wrote:The same people who fold from CP are those that fold the ultra-complex 110-plus-step works. Why have 10 pages of diagrams when a 1-page CP conveys the same information? ....
Jared :)

You and many others with the CP love. I am glad that at the very least a CP is published and there is some faint hope in the distance. But I will never place CPs over diagrams. Why go through the hassle??...If I produce a model...I will come out with diagrams before I intend to release a CP. Why? So everyone has an opportunity to create and not just the CP masters. Why have a school bus when a bicycle will be fine? Oh yeah...more people happy!! You build a tree house and don't let anyone in unless they know the secret password. Only let the cool people in right? People want a complex model and love to point out an accomplishment. Maybe that one complex thing you diagram will give them confidence to move on with more material, maybe CPs, maybe creating their own model. Maybe a CP would discourage them instead since it can appear to be such a jump. We should all be go-getters though right? Not all of us are built that way. There will be people grateful that you put in the time to make a diagram to give them the satisfaction of going to "What have you folded lately?" Some people are not as gifted as others Jared, I think you know this having helped many on the forum. Doesn't it make you feel better to put in more effort and thus help more people accomplish their goals?

ROD
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Rod, I think I kinda mentioned that in my next paragraph. :)

Besides, I prefer folding from diagrams. Now, I love the feeling when I successfully solve a CP like I do a math proof or something, but the published sequence has the added benefit of possibly being really fun and clever (i.e. all Komatsu's diagrams).