Magic ball

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Alright here we go. Blue are mountain folds, Red are valley folds. Note, this is a diagram to show you how to do the patter, not the magic ball. That model requires a much larger grid.

1) Divide your paper into an 8x8 grid perpendiculary and in 16ths diagonally.
Image Then make two mountainfolds on the 3/8ths and 5/8ths creases as shown.

2) Here's what it should look like. Fold the ends inwards, so basically you end up with an open-box shape. See pic three for clarifaction.

3) So good so far?

4) Repeat the same process. The sides squish in.

5) Here's what you should end up with. Repeat step 4 along this row.

6) This is the first row finished. Turn your model to the side for step 7.

7) Essentially you're pulling up the sides. Don't pay attention to the direction the creases are going in the picture, just stick to the color of the crease lines and you'll be fine. You're performing reverse folds here.

8) Here's a close-up of step 7, with the creases half-folded in the proper directions.

9) Just mirror what you have already folded on the other side.

10) Again, from the side, continuing with the pattern. Lots of reverse-folds.

11) Here's one side finished. Practice steps 7-12 on the other side. By now you should get the idea.
esamerica

Well done

Post by esamerica »

Hats off to you Sir.
Thanks
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Judging from the tiles I made from a 32x32 grid... I think the magic ball is made out of a rectangle with a ratio of 1:2, making your grid 16x32 (perpendicular to the edge of the paper). I might be wrong but that wouldn't be a bad place to start.
esamerica

got it

Post by esamerica »

My god what a pain these pleats are but it was well worth the effort now I can begin on the ball
thanks again
Diopside

Post by Diopside »

A silly question:
Where are they pieced together?:D
I counted the ratio: 10:20
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I'm not sure I understand your question... maybe it's because I just woke up.
Do you mean you counted the number of tesselations to be 10x20? I folded the magic ball two nights ago from a 32x16 (making a 16x8 tesselation), and when you overlap and glue the first and last rows together (which I haven't actually done yet), it looks identical to the one in the video.
Last edited by JeossMayhem on April 6th, 2008, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diopside

Post by Diopside »

Hm, i might questioned that:)
So, if i glue the first and the last rows it would be good, now i understand:)
But theres one more thing i dont understand, the horizontal lines on the cp, look like they are valley fold, so they are like this - - - - , or its the problem of the enlargement.
Anyways, i started it, im still working on it, and i use a pen to mark the folds.
I think, in this way, it won't be hard to be done.
Sorry for my english, it has weakened in the last half year, i didnt learn english since that:S
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Hmm, yea, I didn't fold mine from the CP he had and I quite frankly I don't know how he would get what's in his picture with that size. I folded it from looking at the picture alone, I'm pretty sure that all that really matters is that you have a paper with side ratios of 1:2.

The horizontal and vertical lines are all __.__. mountain folds.
gozim

How do i fold the edges??

Post by gozim »

Hello expert folders.

I used your vivid images to fold the Ori-Ball, but how do I get the ends to become pointy like the model in the youtube clip?? mine have become flat.
I wanted to attach a photo but i dont know how to do it?!?
thanks!!
Ilan
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

It looks like the ends angle inwards because of a slight crimp all around the top and bottom of the ball.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Yea, just inside-reverse fold the ends to make the point. Just fold the last row of your grid to points instead of squares.

I should post a picture of it since I haven't folded anything for quite some time, save the magic ball...... :cry:
yeah4metoo

Post by yeah4metoo »

I found it easier tocoax the proper folds in place ,if, after making all my initial folds. I fan folded my paper starting at 1 short end to the other and attempting to keep those fan folds in place as i worked the 1st row of pleats in then pinchini the pleated end I reversed the fan fold for the next row each time as i worked across to the other side.
granny knows!!
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Yea, whatever worlks. It is easier if you precrease all of the folds, but more creases not only weakens the paper more, but shows up more in the end. I folded mine from parchment paper, which is fairly durable, but I still had some holes form from stress. I decided not to fold some of the precreases because of this, but it still came out fine (after extra-careful folding).

Here's a close-up of the end, with the creases of the reverse-fold fairly apparent:

And here are some more pics. It looks nearly identical to Kade's I think but I can't find differences that stem from folding a slightly different CP than his...

Easter egg? Kind of late....

Relatively spherical

And squashed
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I did it, thanks a lot :)

[img]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/3681/ballcb7.jpg[/img]
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

No prob. Happy to help.