Help with Brian Chan Attack of the Kraken!!!

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

thanks Kafar as well, now i will fold this for sure :D
chosetec

I think you have it figured out -

Post by chosetec »

Yeah, I really recommend large, thin paper for this. Kozo of at least 24 inches on a side would be best. The CP is not perfect, more like guidelines, really.

There is a big mass of paper that forms near the base of the sails, this just needs to be sunk and hidden from view. The sails naturally want to face opposite sides, but what I do is I take the rear sail and bend it around forward, and wetfold the heck out of it.

For those of you who are interested (probably all of you?) I have posted a better model and a better CP. (the one I had on display at the PEM and OUSA 2008)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chosetec/2897895545
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chosetec/2898731822
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

It took me some time to post it here:D I'm folding Cyclomantus by Katsuta Kyohei, so I was a little busy, but here it comes :D

I'll fold it right after I'll finish Cyclommatus :D
ps. mistakes (if they are there) will be corrected while I'll be folding it :D
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Alright, I wanted to try this model for the second time with the updated CP. I've currently got it completely collapsed, but I came to a stop. I don't really know what to do afterwards (and I can't really manipulate the paper too much or else it will start to rip). I know I have the twist one of the sails, but the squid always seem to end up under the boat. Also, I'm not sure how to get the two flaps forming the hull to oppose each other. Can anyone help me out? I really want to finish this model.
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

Could someone help with establishing reference points? I'm more or less a print-and-fold type of person, so i have very little experience. If someone could, "diagrams" on establishing the main creases?
Mars

Post by Mars »

I would like some reference points too!
I have the right paper size but I don't feel like drawing the creases :P
Keep on trying, it will work.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

The crease pattern is based on a 9x9 grid (for some parts like between the squid and boat, it becomes 72x72). The references for the squid part are pretty easy to get since they basically consist of boxpleating. As for the boat, the tips of the masts are exactly on a third of the paper length. As for the rest of the reference points... use a ruler and calculator, I guess. That's how I found them for my model.
Charlominijako

Post by Charlominijako »

Hello, I am trying to fold this great model. I succeeded in forming the sails of the ship, and I think i've understood how to put them in the right position. But my problem is that I just can't figure out how to fold the squid part, and the part at the right of the boat. :(

I've seen that Kafar posted a cp with moutain and valley fold on flickr, but it's not avaible anymore. If someone could post it again, it would be great. I wish that with such help, I could finally fold this model.

I know that this topic is a bit more than one year old, but anyway I didn't know if creating a new topic on "Attack of the Kraken" was better solution or not...

best regards, and thanks in advance.
M Deutsch

Post by M Deutsch »

Here's Brian Chan's CP

Here's Kafar's CP

- Matthew
Charlominijako

Post by Charlominijako »

Thank you so much, M Deutsch, this will help me a lot !
I will try it as soon as I'll have a little time.
vamdan

Post by vamdan »

Does anyone know if he will ever make diagrams? LOL Im a bit too lazy for the cp and it looks very difficult. I've made ancient dragon and buhamut by Satoshi Kamiya several times
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

I think he made a facebook discussion about a book he will be making, which would include some diagrams of models.
I'll get it in a sec.

EDIT:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/top ... opic=12433
thar she blows
Last edited by JumPurge on July 3rd, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

are there any tips for this model
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

no diagrams exist.
cranemaster366

Post by cranemaster366 »

I really just need help shaping the boat from its base. Any help is appreciated!!! :wink: