Omega star

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
WhiteShadows

Omega star

Post by WhiteShadows »

I'm having trouble finding this diagram and am having trouble figuring out how to fold it without the CP or diagram lol. Could someone please post it. thx
saj

Post by saj »

Ravi Apte provides photo instructions at

Ravi Apte's Gallery
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
WhiteShadows

Post by WhiteShadows »

yeah i tried folding it according to this but had trouble at 26-40 lol i need help
itay

try sending a letter to Mr. Apte

Post by itay »

I too have tried folding it, and got stuck, because many of the illustrations lack verbal descriptions.

I've sent a message to Mr. Apte, requesting that he adds verbal description, in a manner similar to the other models which have instructions in his site (excellent job he's done explaining these models, i think). I've sent this message a couple of days ago. I haven't received a response from him yet, and my letter doesn't seem to have had any impact. Maybe it's because i addressed him, accidentally, as Mr. Raviapte, instead of Mr. Apte (or, worse yet, instead of Ms. Apte). Be that as it may, perhaps if other people, such as you, WhiteShadows, send him similar letters, he will consent to add his excellent, excruciatingly detailed verbal descriptions to these instructions.

By the way, i warmly recommend all the other models in his site: they come out gorgeous, are sheer delight to fold, and the instructions and are admirably lucid.
bshuval

Post by bshuval »

Itay and others,

I am sure that the reason Ravi hasn't replied isn't because he was addressed as "Mr. Raviapte" instead of "Mr. Apte." In fact, I am certain he would have much appreciated being addressed as simply "Ravi" (the same as I prefer to be addressed as Boaz instead of Mr. Shuval).

Ravi has put a lot of effort into making his photo-diagrams. I am sure it is important for him that they be clear to the folder. Indeed, the incarnation you see before you now on his webpage is far different than what was there a couple of years ago when Ravi first put the photographs there. Hence, feedback on his diagrams must be important to him.

If he hasn't replied, it could be for a variety of reasons. One could be that you used the wrong email address. (And if you want to verify you have the correct one, you are welcome to contact me privately. For spam reasons, please do not write it on the forum body.) Another could be that he simply quite busy at the moment and cannot attend to it. In due time he will get to it, too.

That said, I believe that sending him one request should suffice. Do not bombard him with multiple requests for clarifying. In the mean time, I would be more than happy to try and assist you in the folding of Richardson's one-piece omega star. If you would only tell me what it is that is causing you trouble, I could try and help you.

Moreover, there are several other versions of the omega star out there, far simpler than Richardson's. There is the original 6 unit version, which is a modification of Sullivan's XYZ; there is Dave Mitchell's excellent 12-unit version; John Montroll has two one-piece versions. The first one can be found in his "Animal Origami for the Enthusiast" and also on the web if one searches hard enough (on some czech site. I'm not sure how legal it is). This version is quite simple and is pretty much based on the same principles as Richardson's, but without the hem (and hence no lock). The second is probably the best (in my opinion) one-piece omega star out there, and can be found in his "Constellation of Origami Polyhedra." However, it is not difficult to develop by oneself. I have (accidentally) developed the same omega star on my search for a different one-piece version of a modular. Try to do this yourself -- it is not so difficult.
Sara

Any news?

Post by Sara »

Recently Ravi Apte's page http://www.raviapte.com disappeared. Does anyone know the cause of this? Is anyone in contact with Ravi?

-- Sara
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I quote him from the Origami Mailing List (2008 January 14):
Ravi Apte wrote:Hi Folks,

This is to give you a heads-up that my website http://www.raviapte.com/gallery which many of you may have visited, will be taken down over the next few days. It is being migrated to google apps. The photos currently on gallery will be moved gradually to flickr as that is the place which is used by many more people to access photos etc. This will be a slow process, since their is no automated way to port the narratives that accompany many photos.

I want to thank you for all your support in using the website. Over the past years, the following albums were most visited:

Omega Star > 55K visitors
Kawahata Elephant > 20K
Fujimoto Hydrangea > 14K
Fujimoto Tessellations > 12K
Fujimoto Crowding Butterflies > 11K

Best Regards
Ravi