Brian Chan - Wall-E (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

One, Brian is almost definitely working on a book. Also, if you haven't seen his diagrams he puts a lot into them, and produces exquisite hand-drawn diagrams.

Two, what Anermak did is no different from any of the other "crease pattern solutions" except better quality. Really, all it is is a step-by-step sequence of solving the CP. Does it make sense that photo-step-folds are okay, but a nice clean diagram isn't? Just because the photos are quicker to make and harder to follow?

I don't think so.

Anermak, continue doing what you do. You are very good at solving crease patterns and at helping others to do the same. It is much appreciated by many. I know I enjoy seeing both your results and progress, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also, there is no reason for you to remove your personal diagrams of Kamiya, Hojyo, etc's work from your computer. They are yours.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

CP solution step-photos are a gray area themselves. I appreciate them as well, but I don't remember it being discussed before as legal/illegal. They're not exactly diagrams, but they're not just a CP anymore. Anermak's diagram isn't complete, but as seen here many feel its passed a boundary, by being in such a clear and non-photo format maybe? It might seem silly or being nit-picky, but its obviously an important thing among us to preserve a person's rights. In the end (as always), its best just to ask an authority or the person themselves what they want (Brian in this case is fairly easy to contact). If there is an Origami Authors Group to be formed, I'd like to pose this question >:2)~.
hoodsmommy

shaping the arms?

Post by hoodsmommy »

I'm getting better at this, but I can't figure out how you advanced folders shape the arms so that the ends near the claws are thinner and folded into the ends near the body. Would one of you pls explain? (A picture would be great too). Thanks.
karan62

Post by karan62 »

stop about copyright problems and start thinking about walle i need help with the body would someone whose folded it tell me! ](*,)
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

wall-e

Post by insaneorigami »

grrr, im having some slight trouble with the body, but apart from that its great! I folded it from a sheet of printer paper bonded with foil, as shown earlier, and its pretty cool. As shown in the Brian chan vid, I used tweazers to fold the treads. I'll try to post a pic of it up soon, though.

However, when I want to fold it later from a larger sheet of paper, does any one know of a quick, easy, and accurate way to divide paper into 5'ths?
karan62

Post by karan62 »

i cant fold it at all all ive got is a spike sticking out of it
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

(Would you like to know the time, how to tell time, ... or how to build a watch ? :-)

Sara Adams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYH47oPCwbI

Another video: http://www.origamivideo.net/category.as ... &SUB=bases

Article: http://www.fishgoth.com/origami/basics13.html

Lang's Origami Constructions, At the bottom of this page: http://www.langorigami.com/science/hha/hha.php4

Estimate: http://www.envelooponline.com/nan/archi ... explained/

- Hank Simon
Mars

Post by Mars »

Maybe someone with ORIPA, can post the CP with
the valley and mountain folds. It might clear up some confusion. :wink:
Keep on trying, it will work.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Any idea how long that would take? Drawing a complex CP like that in ORIPA can take hours. And given what I've seen in the CP, it's mostly boxpleating and such anyway, so the crease directions should be pretty obvious.

If you're still having so much trouble with it... maybe you should try a simpler model. There are CPs all over the place, many of them much easier than this one. If you don't have the skill and patience to figure out the crease directions, chances are you won't be able to collapse and finish the model anyway.
Mars

Post by Mars »

I thought he deleted those photos though? :?
About ORIPA, I also thought you could run the CP, and you would
automatically get those lines. I guess I was wrong?
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

yep. you have to draw each line individually, and select which orientation it is. It's even more time-consuming than drawing a regular CP; I'd guess that for a model like this, drawing up a CP in ORIPA would take 1-3 hours, depending on how fast you could draw.

Yes, Anermak has deleted those photos. My mistake... I edited my original post to reflect that.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Thanks for explaining that, I had no idea how time consuming it was.
karan62

Post by karan62 »

hooodmommys alrady done that
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Mars: Karan is correct, referring to the post by hooodmommy on p. 2 of this thread, dated: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:54 pm.

It is a simplified CP with valley and mountain folds, but you can infer to the full CP, after you fudge around with the "simpler" one. Let us know about your progress....

- Hank Simon
Mars

Post by Mars »

Oh, I wasn't really thinking about doing the CP (never done a CP).
I was just suggesting that it should be run through ORIPA (the whole CP), so some people wouldn't have so much trouble. I guess the simplified CP
will help a lot people. Have fun with Wall-e! :D