Brian Chan - Wall-E (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Velandar

Post by Velandar »

Dear folders, can you please help me? i'm not rly good with CP yet( folded dwarf and dobsonfly ....Can you please color mountains/valleys? PLZ!! i think many ppl would be happy ( incluedes me ).....
cranemaster366

Post by cranemaster366 »

I have made a better Wall-E!

In my opinion, the cp collapse is the easy part. The shaping is quite difficult.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

Great fold! I agree, the shaping is the hardest part in this model.
SenorTortuga

Re: Brian Chan - Wall-E (CP)

Post by SenorTortuga »

I recently decided to try my hand at making Wall-E out of 14" Japanese foil. The most tedious part by far was making all of the treads in the wheels. Here is a picture of the semi-collapsed bottom part of the model with the treads and in-and-out sinks before I started working on the body and head:

Everything was going fine until I attempted to do the final collapse and shaping of the body, at which point the paper started to tear in multiple places around the internal "points" that were formed from the in-and-out sinks that I was attempting to stuff inside. Fortunately, I ran into Mr. Chan at the OUSA convention and he was willing to spend a minute helping me to shape the body so that it looked presentable - just don't look at it from the back or you'll see all of the places where the paper tore :)

Washi

Post by Washi »

The pleats look horribly complicated... I need to get bigger foil sometime because this model looks great!

If you don't mind... I'd like to see where it tore. :P
SenorTortuga

Post by SenorTortuga »

Here's a shot of the back of the model. You can see the multiple tears on the right side of the body, and a couple in the back of the head as well. Next time I fold this I'll probably want to use stronger paper :).

Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

I'm using just regular paper (not t-f, a 3' square), and can't get the treads to stay in place. are they just overlapping and staying because it is made with t-f, or can they be locked together in some way?
cranemaster366

Post by cranemaster366 »

I believe they just overlap, but you can try to come up with your own lock.
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

oh what fun. I have some foil kami, but only 3 squares of the "right" color, unless I wanted to make him in blue, red, purple, maybe silver, or green. otherwise, im sunk, because im out of spray glue, so i cant glue tissue paper (securely) onto foil. grr
SenorTortuga

Post by SenorTortuga »

Lephantome92 wrote:I'm using just regular paper (not t-f, a 3' square), and can't get the treads to stay in place. are they just overlapping and staying because it is made with t-f, or can they be locked together in some way?
You can see in my last picture that I pretty much just folded over the end of the tread and tucked it in near the top. I wouldn't call it "locking" really since it tends to come apart if I move the model around too much - I'm sure there are better ways to do it.
narcolepticsloth

Post by narcolepticsloth »

I have collapsed the treads, but can someone explain to me or even better show me how to collapse walle's body.
Thanks in advance
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Why can't someone do diagrms to this model. It is obviously a well-publicised model, and all well-publicised models ought to be diagrammed at some point.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

There may be some photodiagrams somewhere.... but the gentle answer is if you have the time and patience to diagram some models, the general Origami community would be grateful. If you don't know how to use the tools, now is a good time to learn... if you don't know how to diagram, it is an excellent skill to learn for deepening your understanding of design and patience.

Very few people like to diagram. J.C. Nolan may have been the first person to popularize using computers to diagram, but I don't think he does Origami anymore. And, the people who design, continue to spend their time designing....

An excellent resolution for 2012 would be to become the go-to person for Origami diagrams, just as Sara Adams has done with her excellent videos...
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Well i'm afraid i can''t diagram it. I am a beginner at crease patterns and I haven't done WALL-E.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
Bass

Post by Bass »

Brian Chan is still working on his book, as has been hinted several times the past few years. It was rumored that he was waiting for some copyrights to clear up, so Wall-E diagrams may well be on the way to an appearance when his book comes out.