Magic ball

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

?? It was definitely feasible for me.
I don't really understand what you mean... "they don't overlap they line up next to each other"? Shortening your paper by just one row doesn't seem to make any difference. Tape may work but it's 1) not as durable as glue and 2) it doesn't maintain as round of a shape since there's no fibers between the ends of the paper. Not to mention, tape would be visible (unless you really want to jeopardize the integrity of the ball, whereas you couldn't even tell it's glued since the end of one side hides against the creases of the other sides.
Brimstone
Buddha

Re: How to glue

Post by Brimstone »

esamerica wrote:I don't think glue is a fesable application here because the two ends don't overlap they line up next to each other tape I think is the way to do it. unless the CP has extra material to work with. But it looks obvious from the great video and pictures.
Wrong.

First and last "columns" of the CP need to be overlapped. Then glue, then refold and then you are done.
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

I don't know how you can say "wrong." Both ways will work. If you are using the crease pattern from Kade's page, yes the first and last columns do need to be overlapped. However one doesn't need the CP and can do a 1 to 2 ratio and tape the first and last columns together. Either way will work, I think it comes down to personal preference. 8)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

esamerica said that overlapping of the two edges and glueing them together isn't feasible and that's wrong. Sure you can also tape the two ends together without overlapping them but it isn't the only possibility and in this content his statement was just plain wrong.
esamerica

OK

Post by esamerica »

Based on the video he was using tape but yes I see how you can glue the two ends together. sorry.
esamerica

new design

Post by esamerica »

if you look closly at the essembaly video it is not exactly the same it has 8 rows of pleates instead of 7 so when it is squished together it has two rows flatened on top. Which design works better when in action?
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

I found a purist's way to close the ball. Once you've collapsed everything, overlap the last eight units. Then, fold in two units from both the top and bottom. This method seems rather secure, in my mind.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Lephantome92 wrote:I found a purist's way to close the ball. Once you've collapsed everything, overlap the last eight units. Then, fold in two units from both the top and bottom. This method seems rather secure, in my mind.
That wold make the model better. I tried it before glueing mine but it didn't work. All the pushing and squishing to make the magic ball work, is not withstood by any lock.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I had that same experience. If anyone doesn't really care about playing with the ball, it makes a great ornament by itself, and locking the ends would satisfy some kins of purists.
Froy

Post by Froy »

I did it ! ! !

Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Froy wrote:I did it ! ! !
Good one. Did you taped it or glued it?
Froy

Post by Froy »

Taped. But I did it by the outside.

Now I´m working in a 20x10 cm.
gila o

Post by gila o »

I finished mine-
Thank you all for the explanations ,tips ,photos ,video.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87477835@N00/2474023782/
kade

Post by kade »

this is designed by me,
i'm kade,
who want the diagrams?

:wink:
Kade Chan's Origami Blog :
http://kadechan.blogspot.com
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Haha, I'd love to see how I made mine differently. I sent you a PM, kade.