Magic ball

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

Here's the video. Hope it helps!
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKd8rG-NeWg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKd8rG-NeWg
lil4znfarty

Post by lil4znfarty »

Brimstone wrote:For those still confused about the waterbombs they are on the inside of the magic ball and they look like this:
is that 16x32 squares? And when u start doing the tesselations, do u start from the long ends or the short ends?
i <3 paper
lil4znfarty

Post by lil4znfarty »

nvm, i figured it out
i <3 paper
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Very impresive. And very playable. Children must love it, but that hard work to fold it... :roll: And you need to tape it to take its great effect. :wink:
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I think if you have the right kind of glue its better. The seam is invisible if you do it right. When you tape it, there aren't any fibers between the seams so it might be more noticable, especially when it's shrinking/expanding.
folditlikeitshot

Post by folditlikeitshot »

Thanks for the video. It's amazing! Can someone do a step by step (video or photos) showing how they fold the tessellation? I think I got messed up on which are supposed to be mountains and which are valleys. Are there any quicker ways to the diagonals in, rather than folding each one by hand (which is what I did the first time)?
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

You're talking like there isn't already a step-by-step photo diagram on page two. Do you mean you don't understand it?
You can precrease vertically, horizontally, and diagonally completely if it helps.
lipan

Post by lipan »

thanks ... got it now
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

JeossMayhem wrote:Still gotta figure out exactly what method is used to lock it...
I just overlapped the two edges. unfortunately, it's not all that secure. :(
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

Folditlikeitshot: The photos on page two of this topic are the step-by-step instructions for how to fold the waterbombs into the paper. JeossMayhem did an excellent job explaining how to do it. I just used a practice piece of paper to learn the "theory" behind the magic ball. Try doing that before attempting the full model.
angelo

origami magic ball

Post by angelo »

hello every one ...i was wondering if it would be better to use the magic ball's cp or use the hedge hog diagrams and if i use the hedge hog will it be able to collapse properly?
angelo

Post by angelo »

hey origami folds i was on the link you posted (origamieverywhere.com) but i could not find the step by step that you were talking about could you help me with that?
angelo

Post by angelo »

oops my bad i just realized what you meant :oops: :oops: silly me
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Lephantome92 wrote:I just overlapped the two edges. unfortunately, it's not all that secure. :(
As I said, I'm pretty sure this model requires some kind of adhesive such as glue or tape. As long as your folds on both ends match up, you're on the right track. Just glue it.
esamerica

How to glue

Post by esamerica »

I don't think glue is a fesable application here because the two ends don't overlap they line up next to each other tape I think is the way to do it. unless the CP has extra material to work with. But it looks obvious from the great video and pictures.