Magic ball

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Eh...
It's my birthday weekend so I'm going to be out socializing/studying A LOT so chances are good I'm not going to be folding anything.
Maybe later next week I'll make a quick explanation. If nobody wants to help you guys out first.

I really don't think it's that complicated to glue the first and last rows together though... Give it some more time and you'll probably figure it out.
lil4znfarty

Post by lil4znfarty »

ok, i'll try my best
i <3 paper
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

I just finished mine (photos forthcoming) and I was stuck at the assembly phase too. You need to combine the short edges. The model I folded had a grid of 8 squares tall by 16 squares long. Those 8 squares need to be combined. Now on mine, instead of overlapping, I taped the edges together. This worked well enough, but the tape made it a little difficult to fold on the edge there. Here's a simple drawing.

You need to fold A to B and roll the model into a tube, collapsing on all those waterbomb bases.
Last edited by notefolds on April 27th, 2008, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
folditlikeitshot

Post by folditlikeitshot »

I folded the CP! I used plain old computer paper in a 1:2 ratio. Now, how do I form the ball itself. I've been messing with it for a bit and I can't seem to get the paper to pop into position.
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

It doesn't start as a ball. When you first attach the long ends to one another, it looks like a tube. See my illustration above. All the waterbomb bases should be collapsed at that point.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

It only looks like a ball when you press the two ends together, which slightly opens up the pleats. You've seen the video on youtube right? The link is in the third post of this thread.
folditlikeitshot

I think where I'm stuck is with the waterbombs. How do I fold those? I know the waterbomb base, but not waterbombs for tessellations.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

You said you folded the cp, so you must have folded a couple waterbombs. The waterbombs point inside the model.

If you post a pic of what you have, that might help us out.
folditlikeitshot

I don't exactly know where the waterbombs are in the magic ball CP, but I folded the thing from the diagram on page 2. If you look at the CP on http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/kade-x/artic ... &l=a&fid=8, which edge do you glue on top of the other one, the lower one or the upper one?
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

I said twice before that the diagram on page two isn't the diagram for the whole mode. It just shows how to do the pattern. I didn't fold the model from that cp but got something that looks identical to it. I just eye-balled it so I can't really tell you how to do it from CP.

The waterbombs are at any spot that look like an X with a veritcal line through it. I came up with the same waterbomb pattern, but didn't use the same size grid as Kade and did the edges differently.

If you want to fold the magic ball, please read the rest of the posts after the diagram. If you know how to make the pattern, you should be able to do it on a larger that that is required for the ball.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Yo Geoff, check your PMs. (You seem to be in this thread a lot, so I'm posting it here.)
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Thanks. Yea, I check forums every so often as a sort of study break...
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

For those still confused about the waterbombs they are on the inside of the magic ball and they look like this:
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Thanks Brimstone. I ddn't want to tear mine apart, haha.
notefolds

Post by notefolds »

Excellent photo brimstone! I just finished a video on assembling the model from that point. I'm just waiting for it to upload to youtube :roll: