Eric Joisel - Dwarf (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Hey Guys -

I don't know if Foxglove is serious, but are there any English speaking Web sites that sell the "Vietnamese" wrapping paper ?

Or any American or western paper experts who know of something similar ?

Thanx,
Hank Simon
Foxglove

Post by Foxglove »

Yes, seriously, it looks as though it's high quality paper and would be nice to have.
hobbestheprince

Post by hobbestheprince »

Well, to do this correctly I came to a conclusion. I'm guessing I would need one of those green grid-type things that I noticed in alot of the pictures backgrounds here in the forum. I've looked over this CP over and over, and I'm sure it's not the collapsing that will be too difficult, but the actual folding of the CP. I noticed there are 12 alternating folds starting from the top of the model, and going down to the beginning of the waterbomb bases. There is also 3 from the bottom going upwards to the waterbomb bases. But to just start off out of nowhere and fold, I could have all of the dimensions totally off, correct? Someone mentioned folding 6ths, but on Joisel's actual CP for the dwarf it says right on the top 24x24 ... hence my confusion. Time to fold an origami noose, 'cause I'll never get this right.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

24ths is 6ths!! Actually, it's 3rds. First, you divide into 3rds. Then you further divide each of those thirds in half. Now you have 6ths. Then, divide each of those 6ths in 4ths, to get 24ths. However, creasing the 24ths will give you lots of extra creases you don't need.

And the hardest part of folding this is probably not being bored.

:) Check out that post number :)
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Yea, on a model like that, don't 'grid' your paper into 24ths. Use the same method as Jared suggested but don't crease from edge to edge. Lightly crease on the edges, making marks to make references for any subsequent folds. Just pay close attention to the crease pattern and where the creases are required.

And congrats Jared. Too bad you arent awarded a special level of membership. :twisted:
hobbestheprince

That's the one thing I worry about though ... if I don't follow the pattern exactly I may end up confused. It's not that I don't want to practice, trust me I do, but I have a limited supply of paper at the moment until I get paid and I don't want to ruin alot of it. I'm one of those guys that likes to carefully get everything planned out right, therefore leaving fewer mistakes to be made down the road. Kinda like going on a road trip in your car ... you want to make sure the oil and gas and everything is fully working before you head out ... otherwise you'll get stranded and have to improvise lol. I really like this model though, because it lease you to interpret your own way of shaping i.e. nose, beard, hat or even hair. The base leaves you with so much to play with, yet at the end having a very nice model. From all of the models I've seen here, it's really inspirational.

By the way, I looked up how to fold in thirds, but that's regarding the whole paper ... and if I keep dividing and dividing I'll end up with 24ths which everyone advices against. Is there a good reference point in which to get the 6ths or whatever? Oddly enough I always thought that the more creases would allow the collapsing process to go more smoothly ... at least in my mind.

Enough rambling for now. Oh yeah, and that post number is truly creepy ... just a few minutes ago my clock was changing stations and stuff on it's own ... and now this ... yikes! :o
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Well here's what I'd do. I'd eyball thirds. Basically you take our paper and curve it into an S-shape and then slowly line up the edge with where you want a crease. Slowly adjust the paper until you can lightly crease, and double check. Eye-balling is difficult at first, so try practicing. But this way, you don't get any extra creases. Fold the model from a piece of computer/copy paper first, and practice minimizing the visibility of your creases.
foldymole

Post by foldymole »

I think I may do a photoguide for folding the crease pattern, if people are interested. I got good at doing thirds from building some modulars that started with thirds, and it just became second nature. I'm sure I saw somewhere a clever trick using the lines on a cutting mat. Does this ring a bell with anyone?
hobbestheprince

Hey everyone, I did a little research, and I found something:

http://www.origamiaustria.at/articles/b ... uide_2.pdf

I've already downloaded and read this, but oddly enough this specific model in the tutorial deals with 24x24. Scroll down to page 2, And it shows how to get 3rds, then 6ths, then 12ths, then 24ths! I just wanted to ask, am I on the right track here?
Henriq

Post by Henriq »

Hah! these dwarves are spetacular... eiric joisel never ceases to amaze me... the dwarfs you did are very good, i will post mine photo soon,
i did 2 dwarfs of copy paper, the first one i drawed th cp on the paper ( i have even drawed eyes and beard on him O.o) and looks like someone chewed it... but the second became very better i will do a nice photo of them
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

everyone's dwarves are so good i'm so impressed! I've never done a cp before so this will be my first so everyone keep their fingers crossed. I think i've got it though thanks to the breakdown someone posted. I will post pics of mine soon!!!!
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
zhanz

Post by zhanz »

This is my rendition of eric joisel's dwarf.. it's riding on a lion.... :D
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

How did you do those facial details??? They are so good with the nose and the beard. I have to post pics of mine when i get home. He's not too impressive since he's made out of copy paper but it's my first cp that i've sucessfully collapsed so yay!
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

Here's my dwarf chillin against my coffee mug. For anyone who hasn't noticed yet copy paper is extremely hard to fold dwarves from. I am currently making a diagram of how to precrease the dwarf let me know if anyone is interested and i will send i along to you when i am done :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/2234036420/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/2234036420/
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Yes, I am very interested in seeing your precrease guide.

And foldymole: I'd like to see your video, too.

Also, what size square yields what size Dwarf ? And what kinds of paper do you recommend ?

I appreciate it.

Thanx,
Hank Simon