Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
!

Post by ! »

Don't yell at me for this, but may I suggest an amendment to the rules?
Instead of forcing the 30 step rule, which seems to have some technical loopholes (as does every rule), why not just say...
Fold a simplified version of a complex origami piece and cite the number of steps.
The model that has the best ratio of number of steps to similarity to the original model wins.

Eh?
The name's Joe.
joseph.slote@gmail.com
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I might as well give my opinion on this since I'm this month's juge.

I agree with the adjustment to the rules that ! suggested. Despite my knowledge in origami, I can't really tell how many steps there are in a model just by looking at it and besides, I find it unfair to disqualify an entry for having slightly more steps than 30.
I also have a question : after looking at this month's theme, should each participant tell which author and model their submission are refering to?
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

I set 30 as a limit, otherwise the number of steps / folds will slowly creep up. You're a smart chap - you'll know who is bluffing...

Posters are encouraged, but not obliged to name the original model.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
K2002

Post by K2002 »

This frog is below 30 steps. is only 15 steps. For the modified legs is only 19 steps in total. I think most of the people know this version of frog. I know Kamiya new 2009 Japanese Tree Frog is very beautiful but this is what i got to fold a frog. i have a video for it as well :) Hope u guys like it.
I have lots of photos in my facebook as well. There are a few model that I've folded. Please add me in facebook. www.facebook.com/yeoh.k.chuan

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k1Q8hD145Ng&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>
Regards
-K2002-
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Hm, I think we're supposed to design the models we submit... That's a traditional model that I've seen before.
snowblue

Post by snowblue »

little elephant

:)

Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

Well here's my entry, a Manta Ray, based off Quentin's and Satoshi's designs. ~28 steps, I may diagram.

origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I folded simplified versions of Robert J. Lang's "Cuckoo Clock" and "A Miura Ken Beauty Rose".

Reference picture by *moonglow* here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8367400@N06/2763460206/

Reference picture by *moonglow* here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8367400@N06/538586973/

Both are folded from 9x9cm note paper. The rose consists of 15-18 folds depending on how you count and how you fold the base. The clock consists of around 20 steps counting rabbit ears as one step each (4 rabbit ears are performed).
topsu

Post by topsu »

Here is my entry:

Icarus
It is inspired by Hojyo Takashi's Icarus, and completed in 30 steps (shaping included).

Here is the original:
BUGguy

Post by BUGguy »

my entry:

Inspired by Brian Chan's Attack of the Kraken
about 29 steps in total
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

I have also made Icarus inspired by Takashi. But it's box-pleated. I noticed that multiple pleats are not allowed to this contest. But here it is. I don't know how to count the steps of box-pleating, but it think it's less than 30 or 20 :)

My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, assuming it's a 16x16 grid that alone would be 30 folds...
petr-stuchly

i got it i might join

Post by petr-stuchly »

i wanted to join previous challenge, but i missed it accidently, i might join this one... :wink:
what can i say? look at my fickr.com gallery and read about my greatest creatures... email me if you want. i answer it
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

origami_8 wrote:Well, assuming it's a 16x16 grid that alone would be 30 folds...
Not all box-pleated models start with pre-creasing a grid. Not that you couldn't diagram a 16x16 grid in 8 steps or less. You can pre-crease certain parts before they are sunk and get a lot more efficiency out of diagrams.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Ok, for once a challenge that I actually felt up to. It motivated me to design my first model ever. :)

The inspiration was Hung Cuong Nguyen's eagle, it's shown in the pictures as a comparison:

I tried to give the wings an eagle-like feel, as well as the tail. The head was (thankfully) relatively straightforward. Hope you like it. It takes 27 (scrupulous) folds. By scrupulous I mean pleats count as 2 folds, etc.

May I also suggest we support eagles with just one wing? Then I can put more detail into it without exceeding the 30 step limit... More rights for disabled eagles!

-- Sara :D