Monthly Folding Challenge - October 2007

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

So.... it's November. Where are the results and the new challenge? :D
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Hmm - I've emailed Frucco and so far no response.

If no joy by the end of the day (UK time), I'll use my role as proxy judge, and set the subject myself. If anyone knows Frucco, could you give him/her a nudge please?
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Right, I've had an email back from Frucco. I think he wants me to act as judge, and set the new challenge. English is not his first language, so apologies if I've interpreted him wrongly.

Some superb entries this month - possibly the best so far.

Notable mentions go to Jonnycakes for his gliding herons, and Phienix99 for his unique combination of two models.

In third place is Daydreamer, with his excellent Perseus design.

In second place is Firstfold for some brilliant models, including the butterfly on a flower. Firstfold has always provided a selection of well-designed models in the monthly challenges.

Quentin Trollip is this months winner. He has folded a great selection of designs, the best being the skull-and-crossbones. Diagrams for this model have aready been posted in the diagrams section. Congratulations. Quentin will judge the november entries, and choose the subject for December.

I'll now post the topic for November...
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Great competition, thanks for the honor

Post by firstfold »

I feel highly honored to take 2nd. Place in what I consider the most highly competitive monthly challenge. Many of these models were outstanding. As a little follow up, I would like to disclose the conceptual model I discovered in the process. I am sure that others may have a similar process but when I discovered it for my self it unlocked a stream of new possibilities.
2 (or more model sections) and 1 (or more) transition sections
When I conceptualized the combination of two models in one as consisting of three rather than two parts, I was able to create a whole new range of models including the following:

The “Bug in a Box” – first model I created using the concept
9 Butterfly on flower models (any one of the flowers could be combined with any one of the butterflies)
Tessellations of traditional modes – Example: Floral Tiara (on Flickr)
Elephant balancing a cube
As shown here Two butterflies on a flower.
And Double Flapping Birds (two models using different types of transition sections)

Here are videos showing the transition section in the process of building a Combination model:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WUUIXiLh6-g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

Sorry for the scary music, I thought I might get this up before Halloween, but I waited a little too long.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Wow! Thanx guys (and girls). I'm honoured.
Next month's challenge looks interesting and, well, challenging.
I have a feeling that being the judge for that one is going to be fun, so get your entries in!!!
phienix99

Post by phienix99 »

congrats everyone. !
very great job.
i love this month's challenge
nobody hates origami
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

good job quentin u deserve it! ithe skull and crossones were highliy original and the diagrams were well drawn and executed, good job! I`m happy everyone was satisfied! now its your turn to decide next months challenge quentin!
whisper

Post by whisper »

Wow, these designs are amazing! You guys are truly skilled. :)