What have you folded lately?

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

Pathfinder, I don't think your folding is terrible, but you may try to use something other than white copy paper. Sometimes a hint of a color can make all the difference and you'll never know how good/bad folder you really are, before you make the most of your models. I understand this debate has been going on on this forum for some time, but here is the example of what a decent sheet of paper can do...

Roman Diaz - Hippocampus

I feel I finally found a paper that does this brilliant model some justice. I just wish that other people would share my enthusiasm about it... ("What kind of weird monster is that? A fish? A horse?" :) )
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Wow, very nice. Is it wetfolded? :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
moonglow

Post by moonglow »

Wet-finished will be a better term... :wink: It's a little too complex for me to wet- fold it from the beginning.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

This is a design I created last night, Mongoose VS Cobra, somewhat in the Neal Elias style.

Another horrible photo, I need a camera that takes good close-up pictures for once, or I need some classes on photography... The use of my foil prototyping paper doesn't help either.
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

Moonglow, Thanks for the encouragment. I appreciate all the comments I can get and useful information. I agree that I need better paper, especially once I get around to doing more finished works. Right now I am a newbie to this and learning the folds. Later I will go back, hopefully with some good paper and redo some of these practice models. I am actually excited about the types of paper I may eventually find for these projects. But for now I have the lazer paper and the cheap kit type papers.

I have actually found a type of paper that I do like. It is this thin brown paper that comes wrapped around the paper napkins we use in the office. I take it home when I can and cut it into squares but I can only get about two 8"x8" squares from it. The creases are not so sharp but the folds stay.

Here is another example I folded last night with lazer paper. It was a rectangle for the deer by Lang. I used an 11x5.5 rectangle. It obviously needs to be larger paper and better. The model is about 3.5 inches big.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/ ... Deer01.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Pathfinder on May 24th, 2007, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Kawasaki Toshikazu
sheeps

[img]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g275/ ... /ovce1.jpg[/img]
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

to mr Joe the white, yes the photo may be horrible, but its an interesting subject you've tackled. i`m very much into these elias folding styles and love to get ideas from people folding 2 subjects from a sheet like your cobra i can see there are some appendages somming from the middle. is it possible to make this a bicoloured model??. i reckon this should be our next monthly challenge for june (2 subjects from a sheet) what do u guys think???
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Well, sorry to tell you, but I've already got a specific subject for the next challenge in mind :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

nah just a silly sugestion i came up, oh well maybe next time i suppose :P
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

You'll have to participate and win, then you could decide :D (Best of luck!)

Joe, does your camera have different settings, like portrait and landscape? If it was set to landscape, that might be a reason...
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I've refolded my pureland Hamster, this time from a 15cm square of Mulberry paper.

For those who haven't noticed yet. Diagrams for this model have been available on the Origami Austria homepage for a while now.

Also the hamster can be nicely positioned into a begging pose :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
HankSimon
Buddha

Cobra vs. Mongoose

Post by HankSimon »

Joe -

I like to fold with foil paper, but I agree, it takes a gentle touch to get a good photo. Your camera resolution and macro setting look OK, so I think you might experiment with different lightings. Here are some things that I use:

1. Go into a bright room and turn off the flash.
2. Try to place a piece of white paper or a cheap white umbrella between the light source and the model.
A. Try it with the flash (shade the flash from the model with the umbrella.
B. Try it with the flash off, and shade the model from the bright light.
The idea is to use diffuse lighting, so that it doesn't reflect so brightly back into the camera.
3. Try Shining a bright light on a wall, so that the reflected light illuminates the model.
4. Try a cloudy day or just before sunrise or just after sunset.

I hope that these suggestions give you some ideas,

- Hank Simon
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Thanks Hank, I took another one, the mongoose can be better seen at least. I think I'll try again when I refold it for my exhibit.

Here is my intermediate kabutomushi as well.

Julie

Post by Julie »

I folded Michel Turmel's modular flowers. One from 4 hexagons and one from 4 pentagones.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Joe, I have a fairly inexpensive camera with this neat setting where it won't take the picture until the camera is absolutely motionless. It only works with the flash on, but it takes some pretty clear pictures. It's a Nikon Coolpix 4600. If I make it to the convention (unlikely) I'll take pictures/show you/let you use it.