Great news!! New book by Satoshi Kamiya

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

http://www.origami-shop.com/en/super-co ... -1248.html

Nicholas has it available to preorder now...
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

bethnor wrote:
that said, being an ex-fiddler myself, the hoyjo violinist makes this book worth the price of admissions.
well, the model is box pleated, so i don't know hoe the diagrams will be, but it maybe lot of precreasing first, then collapse, then do all the shaping kind of thing, much like hoang trung thanh's swordman from licence to fold.
well, now i think that there may be diagrams for his styracosaurs, there's a photodiagram how to collpase the cp on some vietnamese forum(don't remember the name)

but the thing that makes it worth buying is, the guide how to fold ryuzin cp.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

newbpcpfolder wrote:
but the thing that makes it worth buying is, the guide how to fold ryuzin cp.
i'm gonna be in the minority and dissent here. no, the guide to folding the ryuzin does not make the book worth buying. the ryuzin is interesting for nonstandard way he derives its serpentine shape, but that's about it. laying down an 80x80 grid, and then folding 100s of scales that are exactly the same, never the mind finding a piece of paper large enough that you can do this with, doesn't sound fun, at all. the precreasing one does for the ancient dragon is tedious enough. similarly, i have no interest at all in making lang's scaled koi, and would argue that, aesthetically, the far simpler mabona koi is just as interesting to look it.

the ryuzin is NOT the beginning or end of origami. it is not even, IMHO, kamiya's finest model (the far less popular styracosaurus is more appealing to me, for instance).
andssl

Post by andssl »

I think the aim of this new publication is not a specific audience like us, but the general people, the newcomers. It would be like an "Introduction to supercomplex origami" with several tips and projects to cover this kind of origami. For this reason, the publication is valuable, but not so valuable to us that watch each step of origami world.

Besides, my order has been shipped. When I have the book at hands, I will bring new detais.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

bethnor wrote:the ryuzin is NOT the beginning or end of origami. it is not even, IMHO, kamiya's finest model (the far less popular styracosaurus is more appealing to me, for instance).
i totally agree with you. i like his tanuki more than ryu zin!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

certainly i agree with you, andssl.

i'm just a little tired of the unspoken stance by many that super duper complex origami that involves 1000x1000 grids and 0 gsm paper is the origami that is most worth folding. which it's not, not even by a long shot.

the book i actually anticipate the most is a komatsu one for the organic, almost poetic flow of his diagrams. and i've already folded most of his models, i would just love to have them all in one place.
andssl

Post by andssl »

Considering the diagrams, The book is worth to me in reason of Komatsu's mouse and Hojyo's violinist.
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

hojyo's violinist is super complex!
i have the diagrams and there is a ton of precreasing, followed by and bunch of complex boxpleating folds and some hard shaping at the end.
trust me, only very accomplished folders can fold this with a good result.
andssl

Post by andssl »

Joshua, I have not understand the reason of your comment, but thanks for your tip.
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

I can't wait to buy this book, but I think I'm going to hold off until it is available in English. I'm pretty excited for every diagram in the book though. I really want to fold the Ryu Zin, but I'm equally excited about the violinist. My hands down favorite model from the book is Komatsu's mouse though, I just love his style. For me, the Ryu Zin is pretty high on my list of things I want to fold, not because of it's complexity alone, but because of how well the design is executed, and how cool the finished product looks. For me, the aesthetic appeal of a model is a more important guiding factor in whether I'll fold a model than the complexity, although I will fold complex models from time to time just for the challenge, aesthetics aside.
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

Well the guide for the ryuzin is nothing more than what you can already find on various forums. It shows how to form the scales, collapse a few of the tricky molecules, and overall progression photos of the model. I guess the real gem is the CP with m-v distinction.

Heres it is:
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

joshuaorigami wrote:hojyo's violinist is super complex!
i have the diagrams and there is a ton of precreasing, followed by and bunch of complex boxpleating folds and some hard shaping at the end.
trust me, only very accomplished folders can fold this with a good result.
its not really that hard and i have made it about 4 times all times with great results if you follow the steps then the finished model will look nice and clean
also about the book i will probably not buy it seeing that all of the diagrams are already published :( and i already have the ryujin cp and know how to fold it i just don't have large and strong paper to fold it with and don't think i am able to fold it with good results. might buy it if a translated version is published
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

Trouble wrote:
also about the book i will probebly not buy it seeing that all of the diagrams are already publised :(
again, not to be a huge poopyhead, but anyone who thinks the works of satoshi kamiya 2 (or even komatsu's book, for that matter) will not be mostly previously published diagrams is deluding themselves.
andssl

Post by andssl »

I say again: publishing a book has the aim of hitting a large audience. Origami Tanteidan Magazine, Special Issue or Convention Book is a restricted publication. For this reason, I see no problem in the release of old diagrams in a book format in order to give broad access.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Especially since this is still not a diagram book!!

It seems to be like Michael LaFosse's book Origami Art with more attention paid to folding and display techniques in addition to paper choice and preparation.

I know I for one really really want it!