Great news!! New book by Satoshi Kamiya

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

I've seen the book, its quite awesome. We were a 5OSME watching Kamiya fold his merlion when we saw the book and he actually let us read it. A very colorful book and there is so much on the design proccesses of his various models.

It would cost 2000 yen.
Yannick GARDIN

Post by Yannick GARDIN »

Japanese text only ? Or is there a traduction ?
andssl

Post by andssl »

I have pre-order the book today. If you want, here is the link:

Book at Amazon.JP

But I have to say: shipping cost are very high, because japanese amazon send through international expressy only!!
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

At the moment, it looks like the book is in Japanese, only. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of good design text.... Kinda hard to use Google to translate from a book :-)

- Hank Simon
andssl

out of stock

Post by andssl »

Incredible...the book is out of stock before the release date!!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/4883 ... ss_product

The origami iphone book!!
NL3181

Post by NL3181 »

Look like a interesting book, too bad it isnt Bilingual version
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

there are some pics from the book posted on the gallery origami house website here.

i have to say. it's a horrible tease to have the styracosaurus v2.0 (i know nobody cares about that model save for me) and the komatsu lion on the cover band but not have the diagrams inside. an alternate version of the band has the loggerhead sea turtle and wasp on it.
pharmjod

Post by pharmjod »

No, you're not the only one that likes that model at all. I think it is one of the best styracosaurus / dinosaur models ever. I'm not sure I could even fold it if I wanted to, but we can hope that he will do diagrams eventually.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

By Komatsu Lion do you mean Kamiya Cocker Spaniel that's diagrammed in the book?

And it's hardly a tease. I would assume that the Styracosaurus shows up inside the book in some way. It is NOT a diagram book, remember ;)
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

diagrams for the styracosaurus are complete. which makes it all the more frustrating that it's pictured on the cover to the book but doesn't appear.

jared--if you click on the cover, it gives you an expanded image with both the front and back cover. the completed models are actually printed on a "band" that appears with all japanese books (never figured out why). you actually left a comment in littlezilla's flickr photo of the book. komatsu's lion (and wolf, for that matter) is printed on the back cover.

considering it's my favorite model of my favorite dinosaur, i do get to think it's a tease. i'm sure he does talk about the design process, how he grafted toes onto v1, but still. it may not be a diagram book, but the fact of the matter is, it has diagrams. if the contents weren't published in some fashion, many people would (fairly) assume that there were diagrams to the models pictured inside.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I understand your disappointment. I'm undecided on whether I'll do a Styracosaurus. Kamiya's seems really good, and I only design things where I will have the best version. Thus between Kamiya's and Shuki's it's made it difficult for me to do a Spinosaurus, probably my favorite dinosaur.

It's not listed as diagrammed here: http://www.folders.jp/cgi-bin/enq/enq.cgi yet he just added the Tanuki to the list.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

ares arunya posted this picture in one of the tanteidan threads. i figure there was a class and he gave out the diagrams there (though i guess, looking at it again, the diagrams are for v1).

i still think the fumiaki kawahata styracosaurus is great. just that kamiya's is better.

yes, i tried v1 from cp and failed.
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

It is NOT a diagram book, remember ;)
Whoa whoa whoa WHOA there....!!! So what is this new book supposed to be, a coffee-table book of some sort? The biggest tease in the history of origami???
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

dinogami wrote:
It is NOT a diagram book, remember ;)
Whoa whoa whoa WHOA there....!!! So what is this new book supposed to be, a coffee-table book of some sort? The biggest tease in the history of origami???
maybe besides crumpling by floderer
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

Saw the book and talked with Kamiya.

No english translation, no diagrams that have not already been available somewhere except for the ryu-zin cp. Text does not really touch on his design process: he chooses instead to highlight techniques of his paper preparation and folding processes, and analyzing creasepatterns.

Yes, the book includes models by Komatsu and Hojyo. The list listed online looks complete from my memory. The book is maybe a third as thick as his Works anthology. It also contains pictorial previews of models that will be included in the upcoming books by Komatsu, Hojyo, and Brian Chan.

He said that it will be available by the end of the month.