Cranesse Folding & Help

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
che_lho

Cranesse Folding & Help

Post by che_lho »

My friend is looking for the diagram of this kind of origami figure...

and does anybody have any english instructions on this kind of umbrella?

Thanks....
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Linda Barker's book Origami has a similar umbrella, but the book is now out of print, unfortunately.
Adam

Post by Adam »

The umbrella's design is fairly simple. I can't translate all of it, but it's easy to figure out what to do using the drawings anyway. Here's what you have to do:

A + B ) You need 2 circles and one little square for the umbrella. First, you have to pleat both circles in the desired shape of the umbrella. Don't flatten the model though, so that it keeps its pyramid-like shape. Both circles should look identical ( except for the color, of course ).

B ) To make the pink thingy you have to outside reverse fold the paper along the red lines. Again, you shouldn't flatten the model, so that it looks like the drawing in the diagram.

Blue thing ) Make a prelimenary base ( step 1 - 4 ). Squash fold all of the flaps ( step 5 ). Slightly pull the model apart.It should look like this now.It won't lie flat at this point ( step 6 ). After that you have to squash fold the 4 flaps inside the model, to lock the whole thing in place.
Part C should look like this now.

Assembling the whole thing :
Step 1: Glue a tiny stick to pyramid-like circle ( A ). Don't tear the paper though.
Step 2: You can use a tiny string to strengthen the tip, so that it's firmly attached to the stick.

Step 3: Turn the model upside down. You'll have to make a tiny hole at the tip of part B so that it can slide down along the stick.

Step 4: This is what the model should look like now.

Step 5: You'll have to make tiny tears in the paper now and fold the little flaps inside, so that it looks a bit more like a real umbrella. This also kind of locks part B into place. You can also use glue to attach the tiny flaps to part B.

Step 6: Turn the model back up again. Put some glue on the tip of the umbrella and attach part C to the umbrella. You can also use a string and wrap it around the bottom tip of part B. This will attach part B to the stick.

Step 7: Take a small rectangular piece of paper and put some glue on it. Now wrap it around the stick near the bottom tip of part B to lock the entire thing in place.

Step 8: Finished model.

PS, I'm horrible at explaining things, but I hope you'll be able to fold /glue it together now. :P
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I've folded this umbrella before! (I learned it from a person)
For making the beginning circle, what I do is just take a sheet of paper and fold it into a preliminary base. Then, repeatedly squash the flaps until you're satisfied. Next, cut along the bottom (where the color meets the white) and unfold.
Repeat the process with another piece of paper.

When I made it before, I didn't cut anything (I used mountain folds instead), but I did use glue.
My super growing flickr gallary- Check it out!
_Insert witty signature here_
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

It looks like that is a 16-gon (16 sided regular polygon), not a circle. But that squashing technique would be the best way to get that from a square (or any piece of paper). From a preliminary base, squash every flap. Then squash every flap again and cut. You should have a 16-gon.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

if i'm not mistaken, i thought you could buy kits to make these with yuzen.
che_lho

Post by che_lho »

Thank you Adam, your instructions are quite a big help....I made a sample just now..although it didn't turn out very good, at least it looked similar....will try again until I somewhat perfected it!!!

thanks again :D
ori_dragon3
Location: A para-dimensional warp in space-time. Otherwise known as the Homsar Reservation.

Post by ori_dragon3 »

well,I think I figured the "cranesse". :wink:

1.)make a preliminary base.
2.)squash ALL the sides.
3.)rotate so the open ends are at the top.
4.)fold in the wider edges so the top is white.
5.)valley the nearest corners down as far as possible.
6.)reverse the head.
7.)inflate the body through the hole in the top.
8.)spread the wings.DONE! :lol:

regards,

AV
che_lho

Post by che_lho »

Hello ori-dragon3..Can you post instructional pictures? I'm not a pro at this..Pleeeeaaaasssseeeee......Thanks :oops: